Freshwater flounder?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Took the boys out this morning to drop off BN fry to one of the LFS I frequent. I looked over the tanks and there was a group of weird little fish stuck to the glass.

I was told they are freshwater flounder, species was not given, just that they were purchased from a customer and they were giving them a try. Was told they grow slowly and eat dietrous/plant matter. A cursory look up of the fish revealed opposite.

Figured I would bring it here. What is the good, the bad, the ugly about keeping "freshwater flounder"

Definitely wasn't a borne, I have seen those before.

I didn't grab a picture, I should have. Shop is closed today and for holiday tomorrow. Tuesday I will try to swing by and get a picture after work.

I dug a little deeper and found most aren't freshwater, they like brackish. There is one true freshwater variety but it is extremely uncommon. Again no scientific name given so hard to known.

Definitely wasn't a borne, I have seen those before.

I didn't grab a picture, I should have. Shop is closed today and for holiday tomorrow. Tuesday I will try to swing by and get a picture after work.

I dug a little deeper and found most aren't freshwater, they like brackish. There is one true freshwater variety but it is extremely uncommon. Again no scientific name given so hard to known.
I've seen these in shops in the past and they are always the brackish ones. Though I think sometimes they live in pure fresh and pure marine - I think they are usually a by catch in freshwater and sold on with what they were caught with.

But also to mention they are not particularly attractive just unusual and different but not sure thats enough for me to invest to keep them lol. Sometimes fish are rare in the hobby because no is particularly enamoured with them.

Wills

Is it this?
It looks like them, these ones were only about the size of a nickel. They were strange and kind of neat, I had never seen them before. I like weird fish just as much as the flashy ones so I thought I would look into it.

It looks like them, these ones were only about the size of a nickel. They were strange and kind of neat, I had never seen them before. I like weird fish just as much as the flashy ones so I thought I would look into it.
They do look very interesting!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back