Freshwater Figure Eight Puffers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goggy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently learned that figure eight puffers are suitable to happily live in the freshwater pH of 7.0-7.2 is this true? 

As far as I know that is not true. I could be wrong though... To my knowledge the only true freshwater puffer is the dwarf puffer. I have one and they are awesome little fish. They get to about a half an inch and act very similarly to their salt water cousins! Maybe someone with actual experience with figure eight puffers can confirm this info.

Try doing an internet search for RTR - Robert T Ricketts experiments with Figure 8 puffers - he kept them in different water types (not marine though), singly and within groups and found that a low brackish system would provide the more healthy and longer lived fish.

iliveinazoo said:
Try doing an internet search for RTR - Robert T Ricketts experiments with Figure 8 puffers - he kept them in different water types (not marine though), singly and within groups and found that a low brackish system would provide the more healthy and longer lived fish.
thanks! is 8.0 a low end brackish?

Goggy said:

thanks! is 8.0 a low end brackish?

Do you mean pH 8.0 or SG1.008?

If pH then no that just indicates that the water is alkaline or 'hard'.
If SG1.008 then that would be to the higher end of a low brackish system.  I don't think that there is an actual definition for low, mid or high brackish but I think that the below is acceptable...

Low: SG1.002-SG1.007
Mid: SG1.008-SG1.014
High: SG1.015-marine tank levels.

I keep my figure 8 at SG1.003@25 degreesC, this salinity keeps the puffer happy and also allows me to have a planted tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back