Freshwater-Er Here, Need Some Help With Sumps.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I thought I'd come ask the experts when it comes to sumps, as I have been advised I might need one.

Back story:
I plan to set up a 400L Freshwater tank next year and I'm looking for the easiest way to filter it.
I like to have masses of water turn over, so 10X is just enough for me as I like to physically see the water move.
The tank will be a community Discus tank, featuring captive bred discus, neons and a few high-heat corys. Nothing fancy, just nice.

Now, the size poses a problem. I am a fan of externals, but I'll be needing at least 2, regardless of which one I go for.
I decided perhaps a pond filter would be better, but no one on here who I've asked can give me the information on how they work (is it pump in tank pushing water, or .. I don't even know, hence the question). If someone can tell me about Pond filters whilst I'm here, I'd be eternally grateful.

So with those options out, I've been advised to look at a sump.
I will not be drilling through glass so it will have to be a discrete enough to hide under the tank, but have the inlet and outlet hidden ( just like an external).

Any help on how to set this all up?

you can use overflow boxes, but i would highly reccomend you drilled the tank, sounds scary but it really isnt. overlfow boxes can fail and no re-start if you have a powercut,block up and imo are pretty ugly! Also a lot more expensive than a bulkhead tank connector.

You would chose a pump to return the water to the main tank. so if its 400L then you would want something that will give you your 10X turn over with headloss (the LPH a pump loses due to pumping water against gravity)

Sumps work by the pump filling the display tank with water from the sump to a certain level and then any extra water overflows back into the sump and the cycle goes round.

google melvs reef, he has loads of info on his site about sumps!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back