Freshwater Cloudy Water/water Change Advice Needed!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jessithebuckeye

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello!
(Main question in bold if you don't want to read the whole back story!)

A quick back story, I purchased a Gold Dust Molly from Petco after my Betta passed away because they said it would be okay in a 2.5 gal filtered tank. (THANKS A LOT, PETCO!) Anyways, one day later she had 14 fry. I went out and bought a 10 gal tank with filter and breeder basket and raised the 14 to beautiful little tweens that they are now!

They even have spots! We think their dad was a dalmatian Molly. Then, a month later, we came back from a 3 day visit to my parents to 7 more newborns. I took the older ones out of the breeder to let them swim around and put the 7 babies in the breeder.

Of course, with a 10 gallon tank and SO MANY fish, I've had to change the filter at LEAST once a week. The water was getting cloudy, so I decided to buy some PRIME and that really helped.

I have done 10% water changes daily, and actually did a tank cleaning by moving them all into a 1 gallon (the newborns) and a 2.5 gallon (for 14 tweens and momma) with their water from the tank. I added new water with PRIME and water condtioner and used the leftover water from their "holding tanks" so they wouldn't be in too  much shock.

However, the water just keeps getting very, very cloudy. Very fast.

I know I have too many fish in this tank, and am trying to find friends who will take the tweens, and even called elementary schools nearby to see if they wanted a fish for their classroom. While I have been waiting, 3 newborns have passed away. =[ They seemed deformed to begin with, but it was still sad.

I started using my brita filter to filter my tap water I use to do water changes. I still add the PRIME water conditioner I have before I put it in the tank, but am starting to still panic.

I actually went out and bought some of that fancy Bottled FIJI Water because I heard distilled water doesn't have the right minerals. I am worried when I filter the water with Brita it's doing the same thing.

With the FIJI Water I would also add the prime of course, but is this a good idea?

My ammonia levels are still 0, despite the cloudy water, and the pH seems okay. 

What should I do? If I have to cycle the tank again, will my fish be okay in the 2.5g for the 14 tweens and Mama Molly (Buzz!) and the 1g for the  4 babies that are left?

What do you think? Fiji water + PRIME or ??????? 

How are you cleaning the filter? Also doing water changes.

The white stuff sounds like a bacteria bloom which is fine but it shows that your filter is no longer cycled and starting a new cycle.

I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 power filter and wash the cartridges under cold water before putting them in the filter.

What about using the bottled water with the Prime? Is that okay? It's the good stuff - FIJI

It says it's pH is 7.7

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back