Freshwater and Salt water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tropicalfishfn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Alot of places i go and websites it is maly on fresh water fish. Which i like caus ei only have freshwater. But most sites and message boards have freshwater and no salt water fish.

I would love to have a big saltwater tank but I have too many kids taking my money from me lol...

I had noticed alot of sites were pretty much freshwater only...kind of strange huh? :huh:

When the River meets the Sea!! We live on land with rivers! Rivers live with the sea!!

Graeme.

I'm not sure which sites you guys have been on, but I have seen "Marine" on lots of the different boards, and am now seeing quite a few forums adding a Brackish section as well. Maybe more forums are concentrating on the FW aspect of fishkeeping because that is the entry point for most new fishkeepers and where most of the questions come about.

:huh:

OH MAN!!!!!

We totally want a marine tank, we live in a small flat and would have to save for quite a while for one so its big enough etc, and probably have to move, but its definately guna happen one day, the only thing that scares me about getting a marine tank is that, most the fish are ridicoulously expensive as well as the coral and other things that go in it,if something goes wrong, youve just wasted a hellof a lot more money, I know marine fish are much harder to look after than freshwater, I have my heart set on a picasso triggerfish a boxfish and a cowfish, they are such amazing fish, I could spend hours or more sitting and talking to the little boxfish that I have seen, it is adorable!!!! they all are! the colours! the patterns! the odness! how could anyone NOT want a marine tank! :fish: :fun:

:thumbs:

Starry^

If you do get a Marine tank Starry^ go look at the "Dogface Puffer"...they are so cute :wub: ...look just like a little puppy :lol: ...or the Mandarin Goby...beautiful little fish. I could never go Marine...too many expensive varieties of fish to choose from :S

:D :lol:

lol - so true puffer - I would LOVE to have a marine tank - there are so many varietys of amazing marine fishies to choose from - it would be such a hard choice, I posted a note in the oddball's forum about how much I have grown to love the picasso triggerfish- ever since I saw one in London aquarium - such an amazing looking fish.
but anyway - I am thinking of freshwater puffers, how big do they get?
they are adorable - though I know if Ihad those Iwouldnt be able to have much else in the tank would I? what kind of other fish if any - do u keep with your puffers?
I have a growing love for my loach :wub: , and would also quite like to fill a tank with a few species of them - or some catfish.. i duno..
choices... so many choices..!!! :p

:thumbs:

Starry^

Starry^ ...I always take a few minutes to gaze longingly at the marine tanks when I'm in the lfs(thats when my wife usually walks by and whispers in my ear "$500.00 per fish" I sigh and go about my business :lol: :lol: ) the picaso's are wild to look at :thumbs:
I am thinking of freshwater puffers, how big do they get?
they are adorable - though I know if Ihad those Iwouldnt be able to have much else in the tank would I? what kind of other fish if any - do u keep with your puffers

With my Dwarf puffers I have 4 bumblebee Gobies, there is some debate on whether BBG's are FW or BW fish, I think they can do well in both but prefer BW and I plan to acclimate them to Brackish in the near future :D
I have seen people recomend Otocinclus as good tankmates for the Dwarfs but I haven't tried them myself.

I also have 2 South American Puffers in with 4 sword tails, 2 guppies and 6 Otos, the SA's aren't as territorial as the Dwarfs and can get along beautifully with other peaceful fish. The SA's grow up to about 3 inches and are a pretty striped Black and Tan/yellowish, but like most puffer species I have read about, no matter how peaceful they are if the other fish are aggressive towards them they will eventually snap and retaliate with a vengence...I think they would make great tankmates for some of the smaller loaches (not sure about the clowns as they can get quite big I believe). I plan to get some Khuli loaches to add to the SA's tank soon so I'll let you know how that works out :D
I'll try to get some good pics of Bubba & Bright Eyes to post so you can see how cute they are :wub:

i thaught they where really expencive but when i looked again the other day its not that much difference... hmm perhaps later once i have established the ones i have i will attempt something.

I have a 30 gal marine tank but it is so expensive to buy it's suplies and the fish. I noticed that the fish there is a huge diffrence in prices and freshys are so much cheaper. One time a say $500 marine fish i was like No way i am getting one of those and they like die with in a day or too. :crazy:

$500 marine fish i was like No way i am getting one of those and they like die with in a day or too.

and I have not seen one lfs yet that will guarentee Marine fish, if it dies on the way home from the lfs too bad for you :crazy:

Starry^ said:
I have my heart set on a picasso triggerfish a boxfish and a cowfish, they are such amazing fish,
You would need a collosal tank to hold those 3 together,triggers are mean as hell and often kill there tankmates and cow and boxfish can get quite big too.

I once thought about going marine until i was told i would need a 75 gallon tank to house just one fish (panther grouper,i love them) and that would be the tank stocked to full capacity.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back