Fraying Fins Of Cories

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PerryClem0842

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted for quite a while now because I have had no problems or queries.

Recently I have bought 5 bronze corys and they have all settled in really well and have been eating swimming round ect.
In there with them in a 100L talk I have 2 Pearl Gouramis and 5 small green tiger barbs that's all.
I have been on holiday for a week and have asked my brother to look after them and he seems like he has done a good job but has only come in to feed them and not really check on their behaviour or anything like that.
When i got back, a few of their fins have frayed, not really loosing skin or scales just broken apart like a feather would.
My question is what would be the cause of this and i know it could be numerous things but with all the information i hope you can come to a conclusion.Thanks, Perry :)

Check the ammonia/nitrite if both zero then more than likely the gouramis &/or tiger barbs are nipping their fins...

If the ammonia/nitrite turn out okay my money would be on the barbs, i dont know them/own them personally but i do have have pearl gouramis with corys and they get along fine and this is in an extremely undersized, overstocked tank (not to worry this will be upgraded soon and they appear to be stress free for now :) )

Oh and by the way once you eliminate the problem corys should heal very quickly, one of mine had torn fins from the shop (fairly badly) and it was healed the next day :D I suppose healing time could also be seen as a way to see how happy the are.

Good luck :good:

They have all settled in fine now and the broken fins are no more, I should think that it was the barbs. I am getting rid of them soon.
This morning they started laying lots of eggs on the side of the glass which i hope is a good sign and only being in the talk for a week seems pretty good.
Thanks again for the help and I hope your tanks work out. :)
Perry

Most reactions

Back