Frayed Tail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jello

Reaction score
I don't know how to describe the tail of my betta. Boomer, but it looks almost frayed. He seems to like the plants in my 25 gallon aquarium, it looks as though he is rubbing himself on the plants. Is this normal behaviour and is his tail ok? He has two tankmates, Panda Cory's. Any ideas please.

Jello said:
I don't know how to describe the tail of my betta. Boomer, but it looks almost frayed. He seems to like the plants in my 25 gallon aquarium, it looks as though he is rubbing himself on the plants. Is this normal behaviour and is his tail ok? He has two tankmates, Panda Cory's. Any ideas please.
from what i know, rubbing himself on plants is a good sign of parasites. :/ he might have ich or some other type of infection. does he have white spots on his body or some kind of fuzzy looking stuff?

if he does have white spots he probably has ich. if he has the fuzzy looking stuff he probably has some sort of fungal infection. there are treatments at your lfs or lps to cure these types of diseases/infections.

There doesn't appear to be any white spots or fuzzy stuff on him at all. If he had ich or some other fungus wouldn't the panda cory's have it too?

hm, not necessarily. i've had fish before with ich and it hasn't always spread to other fish in the aquarium. you may want to quarantine your guy for awhile just in case so he doesn't spread the infection/disease, if that's in fact what he does have.

he may have internal parasites, which you might not see. :(

It's entirely possible, and quite common actually, for one species to have ick in a tank and the rest of the bunch remain unaffected.

Doesn't mean it will be that way with you, but it's very possible.

Does the end of his tail look sort of like drapes hanging down onto the floor? Kinda wadded up, fluffy sort of? That's what all my betta's tails look like and I have yet to figure out why. I have tried everything to get rid of it. Their dorsal fins also look like the curling ribbon that is on top of birthday presents - haven't figured out how to fix that either. I've medicated with several different types of finrot meds, but nothing has fixed it. They're (for the most part) otherwise healthy guys.

When he rubs himself on the plants, is it just his fins dragging across them, or does he rub his sides on the plants, almost like he's scratching himself??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back