Fraging Coral

gatorman543

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Me and my friends all have saltwater tanks and are looking to frag our corals in our tanks, and exchange therefore giving us lots of smaller corals, things we wish to frag include zoos, closed brains, and torch coral. Would anyone either PM or tell we how i would frag these corals, i know the general process but i dont want to kill my nice corals

No need to have ideas PMed to you, Open replies are what forums are all about.

Zoos can be fraged most easily by growing the coral onto a piece of debris and then pulling till the polyps rip away, this is stressful but it works.

As for the torch corals they branch as they grow, all you have to do is break off the branches.

Closed brains however are a bit more difficult, I suggest you don't frag your closed brain.

Also, do you have the lighting and trace eliments for these corals?

most of my corals are extremly small and are in a 5 gallon with a 13 watt power compact bulb. But for brains can you not split the brain in half or chip a piece, because that was what i have heard for fragging it. I also use purple up in my tank.

The only way I have heard of trying to propogate the brain is wrapping a rubber band around the flesh and it will seperate then taking a dremel tool and scoring the skeleton and breaking but I highly reccommend you not try fragging that coral as if you try it as high potential of getting infected and dying . and would be extremely hard to do and need to invest in some special bits.

I would hold fire until you've read up a bit more if I was you, get a good book from the library or buy one before you start attempting fragging.
You have your corals in a 5 gallon tank therefore if you get it wrong and the coral starts to die you will have little or no time to remove it before it spikes your tank with ammonia and possibly kills off everything in there.
I would also try and get a bit more light onto the tank.....2 and a bit watts per gallon is not even enough for freshwater plants to thrive, let alone enough to help a coral recover and regrow after fragging.

Just my opinion :dunno:

yeah i looked for a more powerful light, but it couldn't any know wherei could fine on, a baby metal halide maybe

I would suggest an array of T5's would be your best bet. Putting a halide over such a small tank will mean that everytime the light comes on the tank will fry due to the amount of heat given off :X

T5's can be as short as 12" if they are double tubes and give out arouund 18w. What is the dimensions of the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back