Fp. Gardneri Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey DT, I don't know but I believe Rachel O'leary has some videos on killifish hatching on her youtube channel.

Aphyosemium gardneri eggs are normally kept in water to hatch them. Nothobranchius eggs can be put into damp peat moss that is put in a plastic bag and sealed up for a month or so and then put in water to hatch. The peat moss is normally lightly squeezed so water no longer runs out of it, but so it stays in a clump.

Aphyosemium gardneri eggs are normally kept in water to hatch them. Nothobranchius eggs can be put into damp peat moss that is put in a plastic bag and sealed up for a month or so and then put in water to hatch. The peat moss is normally lightly squeezed so water no longer runs out of it, but so it stays in a clump.
Ohh. My bad.

It's all good. A lot of people ship Aphyosemium eggs in damp peat but if you have eggs at home and want to hatch them, just put them in tank water with a bit of aeration and let them hatch.

If you want lots of male killifish, keep the pH alkaline (above 7.0). If you want lots of females have acid water (pH below 7.0).

It's all good. A lot of people ship Aphyosemium eggs in damp peat but if you have eggs at home and want to hatch them, just put them in tank water with a bit of aeration and let them hatch.

If you want lots of male killifish, keep the pH alkaline (above 7.0). If you want lots of females have acid water (pH below 7.0).
You make it sound easy. I think im going to buy some kili eggs and try to hatch them now.

Most fish are easy to breed and killifish are no real exception. They have reasonably large fry due to long hatching times and they have a high percentage of fertile eggs. Most of my killifish tanks had an air operated sponge filter, a thin layer of gravel, a big clump of Java Moss and some Water Sprite on the surface. The fish were fed 3-4 times per day and I scooped the fry out of the tank when I saw them. The baby fish hide among the Water Sprite and if the parents are well fed they usually ignore the fry.

Last edited:
They will lay eggs in any plants and even artificial spawning mops made out of acrylic wool. A lot of killifish lay eggs in the substrate too so they aren't really fussy.

The main advantage of Java Moss is it provides a lot of areas for eggs to be laid in and its harder for fish to find eggs if they decide to eat them. But any plants will work. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back