Found these on the glass of both my aquariums - action/no action needed?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Just finished doing my water changes on both of my tanks and saw these on the glass, at first I thought they could be nerite eggs but when they were in my other tank as well realised no - 2nd tank has no nerites!
One of the ways bigger so I was able to get a photo, its still tiny though.

Kinda reminds me of a miniature abalone.. anyone know what it is? Harmful? Take action/what? Or, harmless?

Right side up:
20200123_160758.jpg
underside:
20200123_160726.jpg

Camera would not focus, but the little white dot is how they were on the glass:
20200123_160915.jpg

Any help appreciated, I really hope they are not anything sinister !

I should add that they don't look like common pest or pond snails, it's hard to see them properly in the photo. I think* the bottom/underside looks open and I think* I can sort of see a foot as if it were a snail though (!?)

Just finished doing my water changes on both of my tanks and saw these on the glass, at first I thought they could be nerite eggs but when they were in my other tank as well realised no - 2nd tank has no nerites!
One of the ways bigger so I was able to get a photo, its still tiny though.

Kinda reminds me of a miniature abalone.. anyone know what it is? Harmful? Take action/what? Or, harmless?

Right side up:
View attachment 96872underside:
View attachment 96873
Camera would not focus, but the little white dot is how they were on the glass:
View attachment 96874

Any help appreciated, I really hope they are not anything sinister !
It looks like some sort of freshwater limpet.

It looks like some sort of freshwater limpet.
Oh! That's exactly what they look like! Any idea if they are breeders like pest snails? Ill do some research myself but any info welcome/appreciated. I have removed all that I could see off the glass as a precaution. Must have come on some plants. Damn it. I've done so well to keep pest snails out of my tanks. Wasn't expecting fresh water limpets though :eek: :thumbs:

Oh! That's exactly what they look like! Any idea if they are breeders like pest snails? Ill do some research myself but any info welcome/appreciated. I have removed all that I could see off the glass as a precaution. Must have come on some plants. Damn it. I've done so well to keep pest snails out of my tanks. Wasn't expecting fresh water limpets though :eek: :thumbs:
Is it dangerous?

Had a quick scroll on google and the general consensus seems to be that like pest snails they can be very beneficial but can also look unsightly if they have a breeding frenzy. Yay :rolleyes:. Ill do a bit more research later but I think they are 'safe' to have in an aquarium.. (hoping someone can still definitly confirm this though!) Am just going to have to manually remove them as I see them I think.

On a side note, my phone is bugging out and keeps putting in a 'V' every time I try to put in a space. Its taken me so long to write this reply!! Gah. Fish world problems + First world problems!

Last edited:
Had a quick scroll on google and the general consensus seems to be that like pest snails they can be very beneficial but can also look unsightly if they have a breeding frenzy. Yay :rolleyes:. Ill do a bit more research later but I think they are 'safe' to have in an aquarium.. (hoping someone can still definitly confirm this though!) Am just going to have to manually remove them as I see them I think.

On a side note, my phone is bugging out and keeps putting in a 'V' every time I try to put in a space. Its taken me so long to write this reply!! Gah. Fish world problems + First world problems!
Is there any way to remove pond snail i have a thousand A THOUSAND of those in my molly tanks. (dont want to kill them tho)

Start by feeding the fish less so they won't multiply as much. Any uneaten food feeds the snails. And keep the substrate clean of fish poop as they'll eat that as well.
There are snail killing chemicals but I would not recommend them as it is not good for the fish either.

Have you tried a snail trap? Use an empty jar with a lid and punch holes in the lid from the outside so that the spikes from the holes point into the jar. The holes should be big enough to allow a snail through but small enough so that no fish can get through. Last thing at night, place some vegetable matter (eg a bit of lettuce, or whatever you have in the house) inside the jar, fit the lid, then sink the jar in the tank and lay it on its side on the bottom of the tank. The theory is that in the dark, the snails will go in through the holes to eat the vegetable but won't be able to get back out because of the spikes. In the morning, lift the jar out of the tank and throw away everything inside - vegetable and snails. Repeat every night.

Start by feeding the fish less so they won't multiply as much. Any uneaten food feeds the snails. And keep the substrate clean of fish poop as they'll eat that as well.
There are snail killing chemicals but I would not recommend them as it is not good for the fish either.

Have you tried a snail trap? Use an empty jar with a lid and punch holes in the lid from the outside so that the spikes from the holes point into the jar. The holes should be big enough to allow a snail through but small enough so that no fish can get through. Last thing at night, place some vegetable matter (eg a bit of lettuce, or whatever you have in the house) inside the jar, fit the lid, then sink the jar in the tank and lay it on its side on the bottom of the tank. The theory is that in the dark, the snails will go in through the holes to eat the vegetable but won't be able to get back out because of the spikes. In the morning, lift the jar out of the tank and throw away everything inside - vegetable and snails. Repeat every night.
Do you think how many days will take, thousand of em.

Is there any way to remove pond snail i have a thousand A THOUSAND of those in my molly tanks. (dont want to kill them tho)
Believe it or not I actually want pond snails to feed to my puffers as I only have a breeding colony of malaysian trumpets.

I just bought a snail trap by sera
As @essjay has mentioned you could make one too! I just bought this as it was on sale. Have yet to try/need it but bought it to have in case I do :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back