Found these on the glass of both my aquariums - action/no action needed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh no! Noted. Oops, sorry for the ill advice!!
But you can get them as a pet like my profile picture he's 10 inch long,lazy,friendly and never eat any algae or snails, he's the only chinese algae eater i have thats not aggressive.

Last edited:
Start by feeding the fish less so they won't multiply as much. Any uneaten food feeds the snails. And keep the substrate clean of fish poop as they'll eat that as well.
There are snail killing chemicals but I would not recommend them as it is not good for the fish either.

Have you tried a snail trap? Use an empty jar with a lid and punch holes in the lid from the outside so that the spikes from the holes point into the jar. The holes should be big enough to allow a snail through but small enough so that no fish can get through. Last thing at night, place some vegetable matter (eg a bit of lettuce, or whatever you have in the house) inside the jar, fit the lid, then sink the jar in the tank and lay it on its side on the bottom of the tank. The theory is that in the dark, the snails will go in through the holes to eat the vegetable but won't be able to get back out because of the spikes. In the morning, lift the jar out of the tank and throw away everything inside - vegetable and snails. Repeat every night.
Will this thing work? we only have this in our local fish store.

Attachments

• Snail-Trap-e1508313053833.png
    Snail-Trap-e1508313053833.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 43
Could also think about getting a snail eater? Maybe a loach ?

Loaches are shoaling fish so you'd need more than one. Most loaches are quite big fish so a shoal of them needs a big tank.

It is not really recommended to buy a fish just to solve a problem. Fish should only be bought because you like and want to have that species (and it is suitable)

The sucking loach, also called Chinese algae eater, does not eat snails.

I recommend of buying a dwalf puffer, theyre great at hunting snails.

Loaches are shoaling fish so you'd need more than one. Most loaches are quite big fish so a shoal of them needs a big tank.

It is not really recommended to buy a fish just to solve a problem. Fish should only be bought because you like and want to have that species (and it is suitable)

The sucking loach, also called Chinese algae eater, does not eat snails.
Some of them do eat snail but most of them dont.

Puffers should not be kept with other fish. It's fine to get a puffer if it will be the only fish in the tank but putting a puffer in a tank with other fish just to eat snails is a bad idea.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back