Found Snails In My Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zesty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed some snails in my planted tank thats in a fishless cycle. I got rid of some that were on the glass but then I noticed lots of them on my bogwood.

Do I just leave them?

When I stock my tank should I consider any particular fish to eat them?

what type of snails are they? are they long pointed shells or round. if theyre in a planted aquarium they likely came from the plants. i believe that theyre ok to have. i have malaysian trumpet snails in my tank and they seem to help keep it clean.

probably common pond snails that took a journey on some plants etc, if you dont want them in there as they will probably breed like mad then buy some asassin snails they look cool and eat all other unwanted snails. only thing im not too sure of if these will breed like mad...... maybe someone will clarify that for me.

otherwise put a lettuce leaf in the tank under a rock or plant etc over night and the snails should be all over it by the morning, well some of them anyway,remove leaf and put snails elsewhere! then keep doing this until all gone. make sure you wash the leaf first just to be safe from insectisides etc.

Thanks. I will try the lettuce leaf first but will have a little read up on assasin snails.

The likelihood is they are malaysian trumpet, ramshorn, or pond snails. Those are the most common "pest" or hitchhiker snails.

If you aren't a fan of snails, it is best to remove them now. They're not normally harmful, but their populations can explode if there is a food source. As a result, most people will consider them pests.

There are not many fish that will eat them, that are also acceptable for most setups. Loaches are the most commonly suggested fish to eat them. All loaches that will eat snails do best in groups, or are aggressive. Clown loaches are too big for the vast majority of tanks (they can reach 12 inches in length or more, and commonly reach 8-9 inches). Puffer fish will also eat them, but are quite aggressive and require snails or similar hard shelled invertebrates to eat.

The likelihood is they are malaysian trumpet, ramshorn, or pond snails. Those are the most common "pest" or hitchhiker snails.

If you aren't a fan of snails, it is best to remove them now. They're not normally harmful, but their populations can explode if there is a food source. As a result, most people will consider them pests.

There are not many fish that will eat them, that are also acceptable for most setups. Loaches are the most commonly suggested fish to eat them. All loaches that will eat snails do best in groups, or are aggressive. Clown loaches are too big for the vast majority of tanks (they can reach 12 inches in length or more, and commonly reach 8-9 inches). Puffer fish will also eat them, but are quite aggressive and require snails or similar hard shelled invertebrates to eat.

I have got a 95g tank so maybe I could consider some kind of loache as an option if all else fails.

i had snails in my tank i thought they were ok so i just left them in the tank within a month my tank was completely full of them so if i were you just take them out with a net and put them in the bin. but whatever you do don't squash them on the glass like some people will tell you as it releases the eggs they are holding i did this and ended up with hundreds so just keep taking them out with a net and putting them in the bin and eventually the snails will dissapear. try not to feed your fish as much as the leftover food will be eaten by the snails.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back