Found Racing/fancy Pigeon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

~T~

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
It was wandering about where I live unable to fly yesterday I was told and actually came into my house but the guys fitting our new kitchen shooed it out. Spotted it in my neighbours garder earlier sitting in the corner in the pissing rain so I at least I'll get good karma for rescuing it. Its very friendly and actually came over to me as I approached. How it survived the night I dont know. I'm gonna wait a few hours and till its had plenty to eat/drink and have a look at its leg ring and see if its a racer. Apparently you punch some details into the lost racer website and they come and get it. Also if its a fancy then I know a few people near me who keep them who will either take it or know who it belongs to. Is there anything else I can do other than keep it warm/dry and well fed?

I'll post some pics if yous wanna see.

You're doing the best thing there..checking the leg ring is your best bet ..or it could be the start of a new hobby for you,lol...

So I was doing a bit of reading and it seems that many racing/fancy pigeon enthusiasts will cull lost birds as they are no use to them becuase they have failed to return and would do it in future. So I ended up calling the SSPCA and they came and collected it. The woman said they might try and contact the owner but I had a look an their was nothing actually on the leg ring so hopefully they will just find it a new home.

Yep coming from a homing pigeon background. (Father obsessed with Dordans and Busshards) as Buddy says contact the appropriate body. http://www.rpra.org/Default.aspx?tabid=100 The owner may still want it back even if injured for a stock bird. He may well have paid a petty penny for that pigeon and could be from a good bloodline.

ATB
C

Yep coming from a homing pigeon background. (Father obsessed with Dordans and Busshards) as Buddy says contact the appropriate body. [URL="http://www.rpra.org/Default.aspx?tabid=100"]http://www.rpra.org/Default.aspx?tabid=100[/URL] The owner may still want it back even if injured for a stock bird. He may well have paid a petty penny for that pigeon and could be from a good bloodline.

ATB
C

I phoned the SSPCA and they came out and collected it, probably the best I could do. I had a look at its leg ring and there was actually nothing written on it and it was just plastic. Heres a pic.

dscf3280.jpg

Heh, cute pidgeon!

I saw a pigeon sitting on our grundon big outside a gardencenter where our shop is, nothing unusual... it was just a nice looking pigeon, 3 hours later i saw it inside the garden center being shooed away.

At about 3pm it just... sauntered into the shop happy as larry, it walked around looking at the fish. All the other members of staff were flapping and trying to chase it out and it just kept looping round and round the shop so i got them to stop and just walked up to it and it sat there and so to everyones disgust i picked it up and held it to me. I unlike everyone else had seen the green tag on its leg LOL they thought i was hugging some mangy pigeon!

I got hold of the right number for the Racing Pigeon Association and gave them a call with the ring number and got the owners name, the pigeon was about 20 miles from home but the owner actually only worked 5 minutes away! The owner called me back and he arranged to collect his pigeon after work, i gave it seeds and water and it sat and shat all over my jumper!! It was such a cuddly pigeon!

The guy said he was really impressed with how i handled the pigeon lol, how else would you hold a pigeon though? Logic says the easiest way to hold a bird is on its back, a finger either side of its neck and the others pinning its wings to its side. I've never hold a bird before except a parrot lol.

Was a bit worried though, it went off home and the guy seemed to be really pleased, it had gone into its first training race three days previously but it wasnt in the best of conditions and he didnt seem too happy when i said so, it looked like it might have had mites on its face and it was a bit lethargic...

Meh... hope its ok!

Heh, cute pidgeon!

I saw a pigeon sitting on our grundon big outside a gardencenter where our shop is, nothing unusual... it was just a nice looking pigeon, 3 hours later i saw it inside the garden center being shooed away.

At about 3pm it just... sauntered into the shop happy as larry, it walked around looking at the fish. All the other members of staff were flapping and trying to chase it out and it just kept looping round and round the shop so i got them to stop and just walked up to it and it sat there and so to everyones disgust i picked it up and held it to me. I unlike everyone else had seen the green tag on its leg LOL they thought i was hugging some mangy pigeon!

I got hold of the right number for the Racing Pigeon Association and gave them a call with the ring number and got the owners name, the pigeon was about 20 miles from home but the owner actually only worked 5 minutes away! The owner called me back and he arranged to collect his pigeon after work, i gave it seeds and water and it sat and shat all over my jumper!! It was such a cuddly pigeon!

The guy said he was really impressed with how i handled the pigeon lol, how else would you hold a pigeon though? Logic says the easiest way to hold a bird is on its back, a finger either side of its neck and the others pinning its wings to its side. I've never hold a bird before except a parrot lol.

Was a bit worried though, it went off home and the guy seemed to be really pleased, it had gone into its first training race three days previously but it wasnt in the best of conditions and he didnt seem too happy when i said so, it looked like it might have had mites on its face and it was a bit lethargic...

Meh... hope its ok!

Yeh after reading about how many racers are killed because they are no good put me off actually contacting even the guy who lives quite near me. I figure the SSPC will know whats best. Even if they themeslves return it to the owner at least my concience is clear. Thats how I held it too. It seemed pretty calm like that though once it got its strength back a bit it growled at me(first time I've heard a pigeon growl) and tried to peck at me when I was giving it more water.

Well, the owner seemed genuinly pleased that i'd found his pigeon and id have felt guilty not contacting the owner at least but i had a number on the tag which made it easier. I could have called RSPCA or someone but why waste someone elses time when i could sort it myself, by chatting to the guy as if i was just curious i could get a fairly good idea of what he was like with his pigeons, if he didnt sound right, id have moved the pigeon and told him it escaped...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back