Found pictures of my dog luna from when we had first gotten her!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So research how they do it! It's a different, and particular set of skills than plain scent detection. If she needs to alert that she's found a missing person and she's fairly far away from you in deep brush, then the bark alert might be needed. Or perhaps it isn't, and they just GPS track the dogs now and have them stay and huddle up with the missing person for warmth. I have no idea, and I don't have the time to research it for you, so while I'm happy to help where I can, you're gonna need to do some digging on this! And I highly recommend doing it before teaching her a specific alert.
Yes I will definitely research. I'm not asking you to research for me lol
Thank you again :)

Yes I will definitely research. I'm not asking you to research for me lol
Thank you again :)
I am truly happy for you though and do want to keep hearing the updates on your progress with her! I bet she's loving the attention and having to use her working brain! So not knocking you at all, I think it's great and you're doing great with her, just want to guide you in the right direction so you don't have to un-do any training, ya know.

Did you know that mental exercise is as tiring for dogs as physical exercise is? It's not a replacement for physical exercise, but having a dog that's a mix of two of the smartest and most high energy working breeds around, I had to learn that balancing mental exercise with physical exercise is the key to a happy and relaxed high energy dog! Brain games, training of any kind - along with strengthening your communication and bond with her - requires her to think and puzzle things out, and they thrive on the praise when they get it right! Helps tire them out the same way we get tired when learning something new that's a bit challenging or requires thinking hard and a lot of work.

Physical exercise still essential, of course. But some people get a border collie or a husky, walk them or even run them for hours, and cry "she's still so full of energy and destructive! Nothing is enough!" of course it isn't. A human can never compare to a dog in terms of endurance, they'll always outpace you, and these guys especially were bred to work for eight hours a day in rough conditions. You could exercise them eight hours a day, and they won't get more tired, they just get fitter! Balancing enough physical exercise with enough mental exercise is key for any dog, but especially with high energy working breeds and smart breeds.

I am truly happy for you though and do want to keep hearing the updates on your progress with her! I bet she's loving the attention and having to use her working brain! So not knocking you at all, I think it's great and you're doing great with her, just want to guide you in the right direction so you don't have to un-do any training, ya know.

Did you know that mental exercise is as tiring for dogs as physical exercise is? It's not a replacement for physical exercise, but having a dog that's a mix of two of the smartest and most high energy working breeds around, I had to learn that balancing mental exercise with physical exercise is the key to a happy and relaxed high energy dog! Brain games, training of any kind - along with strengthening your communication and bond with her - requires her to think and puzzle things out, and they thrive on the praise when they get it right! Helps tire them out the same way we get tired when learning something new that's a bit challenging or requires thinking hard and a lot of work.

Physical exercise still essential, of course. But some people get a border collie or a husky, walk them or even run them for hours, and cry "she's still so full of energy and destructive! Nothing is enough!" of course it isn't. A human can never compare to a dog in terms of endurance, they'll always outpace you, and these guys especially were bred to work for eight hours a day in rough conditions. You could exercise them eight hours a day, and they won't get more tired, they just get fitter! Balancing enough physical exercise with enough mental exercise is key for any dog, but especially with high energy working breeds and smart breeds.
Thank you!

Yes actually I did know that... That's what I want to do, work on her smarts... Poor girl was so slow minded at first she couldn't catch the pop corn 🤣
Now she knows what to do 😉

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back