Found pictures of my dog luna from when we had first gotten her!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
She looks pretty skinny in these photos cause it was close to when had gotten her from the shelter but she looks so happy!
IMG_20201223_151808.jpg
IMG_20201223_151858.jpg
IMG_20201223_151907.jpg
IMG_20201223_151713.jpg
IMG_20201223_151753.jpg
IMG_20201223_151619.jpg
IMG_20201223_151710.jpg
IMG_20201223_140712.jpg

She is so tiny in these pictures!! 😅

Have been meaning to link this to you, @Rocky998 . I like learning in depth about different dog breeds, even ones I'm not likely to ever keep, and have seen a lot by this channel, and I really think they're some of the best in term of really going in depth about the breed, especially working breeds. Thought you might like to see this one! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

All the videos he's done on other breeds are well worth checking out too.

Have been meaning to link this to you, @Rocky998 . I like learning in depth about different dog breeds, even ones I'm not likely to ever keep, and have seen a lot by this channel, and I really think they're some of the best in term of really going in depth about the breed, especially working breeds. Thought you might like to see this one! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

All the videos he's done on other breeds are well worth checking out too.
Awesome! I will definitely check out this video later!
Thank you so much Belle
I completely forgot I put this thread up 🤣

I'm gonna be honest I couldn't watch all of the video lol.
Really informative though from what I've heard @AdoraBelle Dearheart!
And those guys look so much like Luna with their coloration and fur! Really cool

Speaking of being emergency trained... I'm trying to train Luna for searching. I've been using my phone as the target and she is doing great

I'm gonna be honest I couldn't watch all of the video lol.
Really informative though from what I've heard @AdoraBelle Dearheart!

Can't be that informative if you didn't watch it all ;)
I know you have attention span issues, but you could always watch it a bit at a time ;)
And those guys look so much like Luna with their coloration and fur! Really cool

Speaking of being emergency trained... I'm trying to train Luna for searching. I've been using my phone as the target and she is doing great
Sounds great! How do you do it?

Can't be that informative if you didn't watch it all ;)
I know you have attention span issues, but you could always watch it a bit at a time ;)
I could try that! I'm going to be doing my WCs today so maybe I can watch it throughout while I do that.

Yes I do... I try really hard to do stuff but uhhh... Yah it's not easy at all.
You should see me writing an essay 🤣
Sounds great! How do you do it?
I started off by just using treats and a command. I kept the command simple and just said "Luna search". Once she realized there was a reward when I said that she was all in so she would search around the room until the treat was found. I did that about 3 times. Then I took out my phone and had her smell it and I made sure that I had her interest in the phone. She was still really wanting the treat in my other hand but I got her to kinda look at the phone and smell it so I said good girl and had her sit and stay while I hid the phone and put a treat on the phone. Once I released her from her stay and said search she found it quickly. Of course she wasn't really recognizing that phone=treat at that point or that that is what she was looking for so the next time I put it upstairs and had a treat trail to lead her there (the treats were spaced out very nicely). Then she found it. I was really happy but I still felt like she wasn't really knowing that it was the phone she was after so I took JUST the phone and put it downstairs somewhere. I took her in the room and then told her to search. I kept telling her search and I kinda hinted toward where the phone was so she could get it without the treats. As SOON as she pointed her nose at the phone and "found" it, I gave her a treat. Then that's when I saw it click for her!
I put the phone between two containers (she was not watching at all). I told her to search and she made a B-line for the phone and stuck her nose between the boxes and then looked right at me. There was absolutely no treat in there. I was sooo excited and proud for her! So I gave her a treat and felt accomplished.

I can't wait to work with her more... It's been about a week since I've done anything. I really need to get back on track with her and try some mire training. Who knows I MAY be able to get her qualified for Search&Rescue but I highly doubt that... I know it's a reach, but who knows, right?...

I could try that! I'm going to be doing my WCs today so maybe I can watch it throughout while I do that.

Yes I do... I try really hard to do stuff but uhhh... Yah it's not easy at all.
You should see me writing an essay 🤣

I started off by just using treats and a command. I kept the command simple and just said "Luna search". Once she realized there was a reward when I said that she was all in so she would search around the room until the treat was found. I did that about 3 times. Then I took out my phone and had her smell it and I made sure that I had her interest in the phone. She was still really wanting the treat in my other hand but I got her to kinda look at the phone and smell it so I said good girl and had her sit and stay while I hid the phone and put a treat on the phone. Once I released her from her stay and said search she found it quickly. Of course she wasn't really recognizing that phone=treat at that point or that that is what she was looking for so the next time I put it upstairs and had a treat trail to lead her there (the treats were spaced out very nicely). Then she found it. I was really happy but I still felt like she wasn't really knowing that it was the phone she was after so I took JUST the phone and put it downstairs somewhere. I took her in the room and then told her to search. I kept telling her search and I kinda hinted toward where the phone was so she could get it without the treats. As SOON as she pointed her nose at the phone and "found" it, I gave her a treat. Then that's when I saw it click for her!
I put the phone between two containers (she was not watching at all). I told her to search and she made a B-line for the phone and stuck her nose between the boxes and then looked right at me. There was absolutely no treat in there. I was sooo excited and proud for her! So I gave her a treat and felt accomplished.

I can't wait to work with her more... It's been about a week since I've done anything. I really need to get back on track with her and try some mire training. Who knows I MAY be able to get her qualified for Search&Rescue but I highly doubt that... I know it's a reach, but who knows, right?...
WOW! I'm so impressed! Happy for you, and for Luna!
Aiming to train her for search and rescue isn't an impossible goal! It's a wonderful thought, and you did really, really well in training her there! She's also showing what a smart cookie she is, and how much she'd enjoy things like that! Was she all happy and proud when she did it and you praised her? :D
To save your phone being damaged, and to help with her finding different items but based on the scent, I've heard of using catnip to scent something you can hide.

WOW! I'm so impressed! Happy for you, and for Luna!
Aiming to train her for search and rescue isn't an impossible goal! It's a wonderful thought, and you did really, really well in training her there! She's also showing what a smart cookie she is, and how much she'd enjoy things like that! Was she all happy and proud when she did it and you praised her? :D
To save your phone being damaged, and to help with her finding different items but based on the scent, I've heard of using catnip to scent something you can hide.
Thank you Belle! That's great to hear!
She is definitely showing how smart she is! I really love to see the expression on her face when her brain gears are turning.
And yes she was very happy when she found it and I praised her! I was SOOOO proud of her in that moment and she was as well! So I think it turned out really nicely...

Hmmm... I've never heard of using catnip as the scent... I wanted to use a scent that would be more realistic. Cause my phone has human scent on it (my scent lol). So I figured it would be the best approach. Also, I'm very careful of where I place my phone. I even do it outside. I just keep the screen facing up.
Thank you for all the recommendations!

Thank you Belle! That's great to hear!
She is definitely showing how smart she is! I really love to see the expression on her face when her brain gears are turning.
And yes she was very happy when she found it and I praised her! I was SOOOO proud of her in that moment and she was as well! So I think it turned out really nicely...

Hmmm... I've never heard of using catnip as the scent... I wanted to use a scent that would be more realistic. Cause my phone has human scent on it (my scent lol). So I figured it would be the best approach. Also, I'm very careful of where I place my phone. I even do it outside. I just keep the screen facing up.
Thank you for all the recommendations!

Sure! The fact she's tracking your own, human scent is even more impressive! You could likely use a sock you've worn, or any clothing that you've worn for a day, and see if she can find that.

I'm no expert at this though, I only did some scent training with Pix for fun, and nothing to crazy challenging, since she enjoyed other kinds of training and agility more. In your shoes, I reckon I'd call your local search and rescue team and say that you're like to learn how to train your dog to eventually do search and rescue, and where you should start to learn how to teach her. :)

Really impressed, @Rocky998 ! That's really awesome.

Also, strangely enough I was inspired by a movie (that was based on a true story) to try it with her... I was like: "Ok if that dog and person can do it, we definitely can". So I decided to put my training skills to the test as well as her abilities.
The movie was called "Rescued By Ruby"... My dad loves dog movies so he picked it out and I thought I wouldn't really like it but the main character has one thing in common with me... He has ADHD and was highly focused on being part of a K-9 unit but with the department not having enough money for another Shepherd dog they told him no but he found a dog that was high strung like him and couldn't focus. But he soon was able to train her.... WOO HOO! The end of the movie was actually really good once you've watched all of it

Sure! The fact she's tracking your own, human scent is even more impressive! You could likely use a sock you've worn, or any clothing that you've worn for a day, and see if she can find that.

I'm no expert at this though, I only did some scent training with Pix for fun, and nothing to crazy challenging, since she enjoyed other kinds of training and agility more. In your shoes, I reckon I'd call your local search and rescue team and say that you're like to learn how to train your dog to eventually do search and rescue, and where you should start to learn how to teach her. :)

I could try that! I just threw away a sock with a hole on it, so I could dig that out lol.
Before this training we were actually unknowingly training her. My dad and her play a game they call hide and seek. My dad hides and she seeks... Just like normal hide and seek. So she is actually VERY accustomed to searching for a person. But all I really had to do is attach a command to her searching and also have a reward and something other than an actual person at the end.

Oh that's awesome!
I could TRY calling but only if I feel she is trained pretty well. I still need to work on her temperament. She can be a bit barky at times and high strung.
But I will definitely look into that.
Thank you so much! Means a lot from you :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back