Found baby snail in new aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, so iā€™ve set up a new aquarium, and iā€™ve found a baby snail in my tank. Iā€™ve used live plants, but havenā€™t yet got any fish, so i assume the snail has come with the plants. I need help identifying what snail i have, and any information about it would be appreciated. i have attached a picture
2DE5236B-58CC-436B-8C57-8D76C3E2C9D6.jpeg

It's one of the planorbid snails, a tiny ramshorn. They don't grow very large, maybe a couple of mm.

A lot of people don't like snails but they are actually an important part of a tank's ecosystem. They only become a pest when their numbers get out of control. The way to prevent this is to make sure you don't over feed the fish as the snails will feed on uneaten fish food.

You'll find info in this thread, the third snail down. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/

I have one that grew to be 1/2 inch in my shrimp tank. There are a few very small ones in there too. They compete with my shrimp to clean the tank. I do not consider them a pest. They also clean the live plants in the tank.

Last edited:
I agree totally. I got a few largish rams horns and they are pretty, mt snails that are rarely seen in daylight, sometimes I see a few big ones then other days it's tiny ones, I see they burrow into the gravel. It's the ( think bladder snails ) that breed like mad that I hate ! I got nerites as they are always on show and usually can see 8 out of 10 of them most days.

so my little snail that i found has some type of fluff/dust of some sort hanging from his shell. anyone know what this is ?

Attachments

• A80FBFC1-BE64-40F0-901C-516540D642C0.jpeg
    A80FBFC1-BE64-40F0-901C-516540D642C0.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 103
so my little snail that i found has some type of fluff/dust of some sort hanging from his shell. anyone know what this is ?

That looks like either algae of a twig of Java Moss.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back