Found a shrimp on my daughters floor!??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This morning I was woken by a screech, I shot out of bed to my 5 year old pointing at something saying eww a big bug, when I inspected it was a crusty shrimp with no legs or not much of anything else left...
Instantly I thought how on earth is this possible, can they hop that far out of a tank.. My water top level is about 4 inches from the tank lid.. Maybe during a water change? Anyway my biggest question is... It was pink? My shrimps are all grey I thought cooked shrimps were pink. Nobody likes seafood either so it must be a tank one haha.. But why the colour?? And how did it escape that high! Pic below

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_075149.jpg
    IMG_20200128_075149.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 73
Dead shrimps always look pink, like they've been cooked.

Shrimps are expert escape artists and once they are out of the tank they can walk a surprising distance. They can climb up heater/filter cables, for instance, and out of the hole that the cables go though. Once the venture out, they can't find their way back.

I did not know that about the pink colouring if dead, that was my main confusion... It is quite a distance aswell I'd say a good 20 human steps... Only thing I can think of is my cats had a play... They all hang out at the top near my air pump cable . And when I do changes usually they all move down with the water level, obviously not this time!

I was preparing to add some new shrimp to one of my tanks and one jumped out of the container. I didn't see it until it was too late :(

My amano shrimp ever jump out of the tank and about to go on the road which is 15 meters away from my house

I can always spot a dead shrimp in my red cherry shrimp tank because they turn pink.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back