Foreign Money

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

i‘ve heard of people using foreign coins of very low value as quarters in US vending machines 🙀🙀🙀
I would attempt that if I had a steady supply.... But since I don't go out of country, these coins are special to me, so I keep them in a little green bag, in a box, and in another box... The little box is where I put very special items of mine... I dont talk to people about it much nor do I bring it out for others... Its just my little box that I know I'm almost the only person who knows about it... Ok, I went way off topic... Anyways, I'll show you all those coins sometime.

mostly I’ve heard of military people returning home with big bags of these coins
Yah, they probably go to a country, turn in some money to buy things out there not realizing that it will give them a lot more than they bargained for... Literally

No, I read a book that said returning Vietnam vets knew the coins worth a few pennies could be used to buy cigarette etc from vending machines & took sacks full home. Some old vet told me this was true.
And they admit it LOL

Sigh, my grandma had a lot of old coins I was supposed to get but never did. Actually I was the only one that was allowed to touch them when I spent nights at her place (I was a kid at the time). Talking probably 15-20 $20.00 gold pieces from the 1800's along with several full sets of mercury coins and others I don't remember. All these coins were mint or close. In fact a few of the mercury sets were sealed. When she died the house was broken into and the coins were gone. Everyone knew it was an uncle of mine but no one could ever prove.

Not sure where it is now but before they withdrew it as a currency due to hyperinflation I had a Billion Dollar note (Zimbabwe dollars). Sadly the paper its printed on is worth more than the face value, I believe they did print a Trillion Dollar note before its demise.

I found a roll of US dollars not long ago. It looks like a lot, but all those one dollar bills pad it. I won't be a foreign money collector. At some point I'll cross that border again and spend it.

Got Riyals?

saudi.jpg

I have one of those!!
Don't know if it's real, though. One of the vendors at a craft fair gave it to me for free.
Probably not.
woah that was an ancient message! i wonder why this thread got revived?
that's cool! there are actually so many of them that maybe there's a chance that it's real!
people dig up tons of these coins when searching for artifacts

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back