Foreground plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maestro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im looking for a plant that will give me a lawn effect in my aquarium but doesnt need very bright lighting, i have a 15 gallon tank with 2 watts per gallin with reflectors, substrate fertilization and co2, any recomendations?

Most of the "lawn" plants need more light than what you have. I will do some looking around to see what I can find.

Rose

You can try pygmy chain sword, dwarf sag, or marselia. If you have the $$, then crypt parva, and anubias petite also works. Most of those plants grow slow under low light, but the end result is worth it. Also, crypt parva grows slow no matter what, anubias is a speed demon compared to it.

i think i might give the dwarf sag a go, it seems to be the teh most undemanding out of those metioned, many thanks

I took rooted babies off my hydra (here again dont know exact name but a low light fast growing plant with skinny leaves) and put many in the foreground of my tank..I just keep them pinched back and they bive a carpet effect
looks nice
karen

Hey Karen would you post a pic of that carpet effect you were just talking about for me. Interested in seeing what it looks like. I've heard of it being done before but haven't seen it done.

Thanks
Rose

just looking through the brochure from greenline aquarics and they have a plant called Micro/Carpet sagitaria latin name sagitaria lileopteris which is differnt from dwarf sag, it describes it as a veryhardy forgrounf carpeting plant aso might givev that a go

Hi Rose..will try..I have a digital camera..will have to figure out how to do that:)
keep you posted..the plant I used was hygrophilia..just took the tops off and rooted them closely to give a lawn like effect..then you just keep them pruned..they do well in low light
will try to get a pic for you
karen

What about Java moss? That could give you a carpeting effect as well and it does not need much light.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back