For you, which are the easiest to breed in captivity aquarium fish species (freshwater & brackish)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TiercelR

Reaction score
Hello all.

For you, as a breeder, which are the easiest to breed in captivity aquarium fish species (both of freshwater & brackish)?

All of these species must be OVIPAROUS species of fishes for to count here in this thread.

They could be your top 5 or your top 10 of these species.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies. Regards. Roberto.

Last edited:
When I got into Killiefish I failed miserably with Fundulopanchax gardneri and later found some Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonders at my local pet shop. From that one store bought pair I now have over 90 to 100 adults all born in my fish room. I gave 25 to the pet shop and I have 5 tankfuls now. The only other fish I've ever had that did anything like that was Convict cichlids.

Angels seem pretty easy to breed. Only fish I have ever had success with but then I typically don't try to breed the fish. A bit of work to get the naupli growing at the same time as the angel fry but after the first few days after they start to eat, they are easy to feed. Easiest grow out was to leave them with their parents, though right now I am growing out a batch that I raised from the eggs without the parents.

First couple of breedings were a bit disappointing losing all the eggs and fry, but now it seems like they are always breeding.

Full disclosure I have only started breeding angels in the last two years, but have successfully raised over 300 fish during that time. For me this is only for fun.

Bristlenose plecs, I would have to beg them not to do it. Every Month, dang near to the day, there would be eggs. My male has a new lady and it doesn't seem like anything has changed except the batches are 3x that of the original female. Luckily, I know a Family owned LFS and I sell to them.

Blue/Electric blue Acara: Some batches succeed others do not, depending on the parents and the tenacity of the tank mates. When in a 55 gallon to themselves they do fabulous, hang out with their little fry until I have to move the fry to a grow out.

Firemouth Cichlid: I could not give them away with the number of fry they had.

I have either not had pairs among my other fish( all male, or all female, or maybe they don't like each other), or they were egg scatters who were in a community tank so eggs were eaten by parents and others.

Cherry Barbs, any gourami (besides Chocolate), Lemon tetras, any Corydoras, most Cichlids (given enough room).

For me it has to be convict cichlids. When they say you could leave a pair in the toilet and they will breed, they are not lying.

Only three for me so far....although the three concerned are setting a very bad example to the others in the aquarium who might follow suit eventually

Cories, BN's and Rams.

The little blighters do not stop getting jiggy with it despite all pleas from me to quit doing so, they just totally ignore me completely. I need a form of fish contraception invented please.

I had a mate who had Convict Cichlids. His whole fish room was full of them, and he couldn't give them away for love or money.
Yes i understand his pain. They were is my central American cichlid tank. They take over one side of the tank and defend it so fiercely. Even against much bigger fish. Best parents. I had to end up separating the male and the female at the end.

Breeding?
Well, I stumbled into assisting "Mother Nature" and my fish, since I had no idea what I was doing at the time.
My first pair were Bolivian Rams, they did all the work. It took a bit of researching, learning and guidance from actual breeders. I eventually got fairly good at it. Raised and sold hundreds.
Next were a pair of Electric Blue Acara, also raised and sold hundreds. As mentioned I also needed to separate the pair at times otherwise they would have a new spawn every 3 weeks or so.
The proceeds keep me in supplies and did allow me to purchase Discus which did have spawns but was not able to get past the wiggler stage. Water too hard? Have since moved on to Africans.

Bolivian Pair.jpg
Bolivian Ram Brood.jpg
EBA Parents.jpg
EBA pair with swimmers 41721.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited:
To me that would be killifish, white cloud mountain minnows, bristlenoses, cories and all kinds of dwarf cichlids.

Hello all.
Thank you very much for your replies to: Back in the fold, Uberhoust, SomethingsFishy24, itiwhetu, bigroof, wasmewasntit, jams, emeraldking, etc.
I really do appreciate so much all your responses, all of they are a solid base for my plans to the future.
Thank you !

Hello all.
Thank you very much for your replies to: Back in the fold, Uberhoust, SomethingsFishy24, itiwhetu, bigroof, wasmewasntit, jams, emeraldking, etc.
I really do appreciate so much all your responses, all of they are a solid base for my plans to the future.
Thank you !
If you are going to breed anything, breed something that is worth money. The best money earners for me have been Whiptail Catfish, they are the stand outs. Next to that, try things like African Butterflies or Chocolate Gouramis.

It has a lot to do with your water - what was dead easy when I had medium hard water was different once I moved to soft tap. When you look at lists, bear in mind that they often reflect where people live.

Nobody wants them, even their mothers, easy ones:
jewels
convicts
Herotilapia multispinosa
any of the larger Central Americans (in large tanks)

Easy with a thought out set up, and desirable to others:
Beckford's pencilfish
gardneri killies
kribs (P pulcher)
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Aphyosemion poliaki (a killie)
Gertrudi blue eyes

These are all fish that would breed in my soft and medium water. I have never lived with really hardwater conditions.

If you are going to breed anything, breed something that is worth money.
If making money is your goal then don't breed Angels, I would breed more but I have saturated a few local fish stores already. At least do not focus on silvers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back