For Those Of You That Are Freshwater Only...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Marine, yes or no?

• Yes but I don't have enough space

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I don't know where to start

• Yes but money in an obstacle

• No I'm happy with Freshwater

• Total voters

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I only ask as ever since I started my nano reef I've been wondering what my FW tank would look like with some liverock and actinics... :p

I would start up but the main concerns are the money and moving in a few years. I don't want to spend all that money on a saltwater set up only to tear it down in 2-3 years and start over again.

I'm good with FW for now. I'm moving in a few months and then I have to master my planted tank (EI, CO2 and the like), plus, I already know how to maintain and stock a happy and healthy FW set up...

I find salt water tanks and the fish to be absolutely beautiful. But, it is so incredibly expensive, from what I hear. I'll stick with fresh water for a while.

I've had saltwater tanks and they can be beautiful but they're not practical for me as they (only like the reef tanks) take years to really mature and since I rent and don't own a home I'm moving between every 6 mos to every year.

Just not practical for me.

If I owned a home and was staying put for a few years, it would definately be a different story.

It's funny, but I've never had an urge to set-up a marine tank. Freshwater works for me. :D

Money is my main obstacle but aside from that saltwater scares the crap outta me. If I make a mistake all the expensive fish and creatures die...and from what I gather it's pretty easy to make that fatal mistake.

Money is my main obstacle but aside from that saltwater scares the crap outta me. If I make a mistake all the expensive fish and creatures die...and from what I gather it's pretty easy to make that fatal mistake.

Ya, I've heard that about how easy it is to make a grave error. Would scare me as well.

I was contomplating a small tank with a single blue damsel as a showpiece in our soon-to-be apartment, but couldn't really get into it. Between the difficulites of marine tanks, I didn't want to attempt one as my second tank, especially when my first is still technically in the works.

And lets not forget the cost of live-rock. That pretty much settled it for me.

As soon as you can get most of the fish farm raised I will get into the hobby. As for know I like to leave the fish where they are.

I agree that marine tanks are beautiful, but you can get a lot of the same colors in freshwater fish. That's why I went with african cichlids, besides as far as I know marine fish don't breed in captivity, and with cichlids I'll have a never ending supply of fish. :lol:

Marine fish do breed in captivity and some quite readily. Clowns (think Nemo) are the most famous examples though there are dozens of others which do also reproduce in aquariums varying from easy to very difficult.

Personally, I plan to do Black Clowns (which do breed fairly easy) and some other as-yet decided fish in a nice reef set up hence the wait until I've moved (hopefully permanently) before setting up. It'll be 200+ gallons (more room for error and fish) so just that makes a set up cost prohibitive right now.

Down the road, I'll have a big saltwater tank... probably fish only. But for right now, I don't have the space or time or money. :no:

Not unless they give me another lifetime to do it in. There is just SO much I want to do in freshwater, so many things to try out. No, I'll be sticking with FW.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back