For the attention of Discus Keeper!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i'v decided to go dicus, instead of reef becuase of runnig cost, and would like some help in the fish selections :)

I'm planning on a 170 US gallon tank in which i want to keep disucs, angelfish, some bottom feeder, one or two kinds of tetras and a few "other" fish. I will be filtering the tank with a magnum 350 (is this enough...i read it is sutible for a 250 gallon tank) have a couple of heaters in the tank to keep it at a warm 28 degrees :)

1) I'v read many conflicting views about keeping angelfish and discus together, and don't know what to beleive

2) Is it possible to keep Congo Tetras in a south American set-up? I will also be keeping some neon/glolights

3) I'm hoping to use a few varieties of cory's as my bottom feeders, will the larger fish eat my catfish?

4) My dad wants to know if upside-down catfish can be kept in such a tank, becuase these are probably his favourite fish :lol:

5) what type of lighting would be best, and how much of it?

If you have any suggestions about fish selctions, please share you ideas here

Thanks for Helping

Ok, glad to hear you are going with Discus. Now we need to ensure that you get it right. The main argument for not keeping Angels and Discus together is the transmission of a certain parasite that can be carried by Angels. This parasite does not affect the Angels but will affect the Discus :/ . Unfortunatly Neons can't with stand the high temps of the Discus world as Ken g w will tell you, the corydoras may be ok or may not apparently they can with stand the higher temps. The neons may also fall victim to their natural predators Angels and Discus.

Subdued lighting is recommended for Discus tanks but if you want live plants which is a good idea you will need bright lighting which the Discus are fine with when they are settled in and used to their surrondings, just ensure there is plant cover etc for them to hide in.

Question number three I don't quite get, what larger fish are might eat the corydoras? Here is the fish selection that I would suggest to you-

Discus
Angels
Cardinal Tetras
A few Corydoras species
Otos
SAE (if it is planted they will help to keep the algae down)
Rummy Nosed Tetras
L-Numbers Plecs
Emperor Tetras
Hatchets (Marbled, Silver..)
Farowellas (possibility)

Good Luck

sorry, i'm confused, can i or can't i keep the angels with the disucs?

Doggfather said:
sorry, i'm confused, can i or can't i keep the angels with the disucs?
Thats the argument that most go with, I personally would try. I plan to add one or two Discus to my Current South American tank that contains an Angel. But the final descision is yours.

how about the upside down catfish, should a couple of those be fine? along with the congos?

The USDs are fine they can with stand temperatures of up to 82, the Congos will also tolerate the higher temperatures well. The only thing to worry about is the activty level of the Congos who are fast shoaling fish which may upset the quite and timid Discus.

i'll probably try the congos out, and if the discus are stressed i'll remove them. hows this sounds?

6 Discus
6 Angelfish
6 Congo Tetras
6 peppered cories
2 Upside Down Catfish

I have allowed the disucs 10 gallons each, do adult angels also need this amount of room?

If the congos and discus don't work well, i will replace them with cardinal tetras, or hatchet fish (if i ever find some)

i'm hoping my keeping the tank under-stocked i'll have enough room if there are ever any fry

Hope ken catches a glimpse of this post, could use his help!!!

Yep, thats sounds ok, be sure to purchase the groups of Angels and Discus at the same size so one group dosen't become dominant, you may want to add the Discus first and quarantine other fish before they are added.

The only worry I would have is that the Angels and Congos may out compete the shy Discus for food, Discus are unlikely to fight for food and the quick Angels and Congos could take the food away from them. :/

The only worry I would have is that the Angels and Congos may out compete the shy Discus for food, Discus are unlikely to fight for food and the quick Angels and Congos could take the food away from them.

the congos already sound like too much trouble, so i think i'll just opt for cardinal or hatchet fish...which will fit in nicer?

Yeah sounds like a better idea, you can have a bigger shoal to. Maybe try some Rummy Nosed Tetras? :)

i'll have a look into them...how many do you suggest in a shaol of rummy nose?

12-16 Rummys would make a great display they are also very tight shoaling species unlike Cardinals IME, then you could add 12 Cardinals and 8 Corydoras and say 6 Marbled Hatchets. :)

with the other fish would that overstock the tank? if ihad 12- 16 rummy nosed?

No, 170US gallons allows 10gallons for each adult Angel and Discus as well as a spare 50Us gallons for other fish, 16 Rummys and 10 Cardinals and 6 Marbled Hachets will live easily in this space along with the bottom dwellers.

Good Luck

are there any other shoaling fish apart form the rummy nose that will fit in well...not including cardinals?

Edit: Forgot the question mark...me fail english? thats unpossible

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back