For The Americans Out There

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alex1

Reaction score
I am aware that this should probably not be here but I cannot find a more appropriate place.
Just a quick question for you Americans out there.
My son has a project for school - we have googled and looked in the library. I would like to just check the answer we have.
What was the name of the first submarine used in the American Civil War?
We have the name of what I think was the first, and the first to actually sink something.
Can anyone help?
Thanks a lot

My dh, a US submariner himself, thought the first US sub was called the "turtle". I wanted to verify so I"m looking through his book "The Navy" which is by the Naval Historical Foundation. I found a blurb about an experimental craft that was a submarine being used in the Civil War and it's name was the "H.L. Hunley" after it's inventor, Horace L. Hunley. It was tiny and propelled by hand cranks but actually succeeded in sinking a Federal warship, the USS Housatonic in February 1864.

If I find anything else I'll let you know. :)

I just looked up the Turtle and it predated the Civil War (was used in 1776 according to the website posted previously) so, although my book says many subs were used in the Civil War, the Hunley is the only one named and the book says it is the most famous sub during that time.

I think you are looking for the 'Hunley' as mentioned above. Great story....they found the captain with a legendary coin he carried on him..there in the sub. The sub was propelled by hand and was terribly cramped. She sank once losing many if I recall and yet, they salvaged here and used her again. The sea water I believe could rush in and flood if not run properly. They would carry a torpedo on the bow with a harpoon that they would jam into the hull. The sub would then back up and it would detonate. They successfully sunk at least one ship. SH

There were also two other ships, kind of like hybrids between subs and standard vessels, called ironclads. Rather odd birds, indeed, but it may be neat to include them in your son's project. The Northern ship was the U.S.S. Monitor and the Southern ship was the C.S.S. Merrimac, though it was originally christened the C.S.S. Virginia . Here is a link explaining the battle, which took place in 1862. There was also a really lousy TV movie made about this subject as well, titled (Oooooo)Ironclads. Dummest movie in creation! Had to sit through it once, never again!

http://www.civilwarhome.com/ironclad.htm

llj :)

I have that movie, the Hunley...if you need it...I could 'lend it to you'. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back