Foolproof 5G For Kids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hobby5 said:

I would leave the heater on, otherwise the tank could experience big temperature swings, which would stress the fish. It could also get too cold, which could kill your fish
confused.gif
Why would temp swing stress the fish? That is natural and happens in nature any day? Imho constant hight temp is much more detrimental for fish health than some temp swings, as long as they are within an acceptable range.

In places like Thailand where the betta is from, the temperature is fairly constant. 
It is much healthier for fish to have a constant temp than regular temperature swings. 
Especially when you're not there, you cannot control how low the temperature will go, too low, and it could kill the fish.

Blondielovesfish said:

I would leave the heater on, otherwise the tank could experience big temperature swings, which would stress the fish. It could also get too cold, which could kill your fish
confused.gif
Why would temp swing stress the fish? That is natural and happens in nature any day? Imho constant hight temp is much more detrimental for fish health than some temp swings, as long as they are within an acceptable range.

In places like Thailand where the betta is from, the temperature is fairly constant. 
It is much healthier for fish to have a constant temp than regular temperature swings. 
Especially when you're not there, you cannot control how low the temperature will go, too low, and it could kill the fish.

I guess depending on the time of year it might work... we heat the house to 68 in the winter and cool it to 78 in the summer. In the summer, the house is pretty constantly within a degree of 78 because we live in Texas and it's hot out. In the winter it'd stay pretty steadily arond 68, but that's a little low for a betta I think. In the in-between times, the temperature outside can fluctuate pretty wildly.

I think I'd be inclined to leave the heater on and ask the pet sitter to take a look at the thermometer when he comes to feed the cats. If it's gone crazy for some reason, I can tell him to unplug the heater and we take our chances with the temperature fluctuations rather than boil the fish. He comes twice a day when we're gone.

Yeah. Just make sure he remembers to check it. I had a heater go crazy and woke up one morning and the thermo said 92. And that just as high as it went! Jerked that plug out of the wall real fast! No fish deaths thank god!

RobynR said:
Well, now the kids are pretty obsessed with bettas. Works for me... if they'll make up their minds and stick to it.
wink.png
  Now I'm working on sorting out equipment issues (the heater may be dead, but I'm inquiring into the warranty).

Here's another fun question: what do you do when you're gone for a few days? The longest we're ever gone is about a week, so I'm thinking water changes could just wait till we get home (rather than risk someone making a mistake). We pay a neighbor boy to come over twice a day to take care of our cats. Would it work to just ask him to give the fish a few pellets while he's here, if I leave very specific instructions as to how much? I could even put the daily portions of food in little plastic cups to avoid overfeeding, maybe. My husband is worried about it, because the last time we had fish we had major problems while I was away for a few days (unplanned) and we wound up losing most of the tank. I'm still not sure exactly what happened since I wasn't there, but I had gotten some new cardinal tetras and I think some of them died and didn't get taken care of and tank conditions detoriorated.

The easiest way to apportion food without fear of overfeeding or the food going bad from sitting out would be medicine containers.  One of the weekly ones.  Each day would have its appropriate amount of food and the snap on lid keeps the food from spoiling from being exposed to humidity in the air.

Something like this:
460_image.jpg

eaglesaquarium said:

Well, now the kids are pretty obsessed with bettas. Works for me... if they'll make up their minds and stick to it.
wink.png
  Now I'm working on sorting out equipment issues (the heater may be dead, but I'm inquiring into the warranty).

Here's another fun question: what do you do when you're gone for a few days? The longest we're ever gone is about a week, so I'm thinking water changes could just wait till we get home (rather than risk someone making a mistake). We pay a neighbor boy to come over twice a day to take care of our cats. Would it work to just ask him to give the fish a few pellets while he's here, if I leave very specific instructions as to how much? I could even put the daily portions of food in little plastic cups to avoid overfeeding, maybe. My husband is worried about it, because the last time we had fish we had major problems while I was away for a few days (unplanned) and we wound up losing most of the tank. I'm still not sure exactly what happened since I wasn't there, but I had gotten some new cardinal tetras and I think some of them died and didn't get taken care of and tank conditions detoriorated.

The easiest way to apportion food without fear of overfeeding or the food going bad from sitting out would be medicine containers.  One of the weekly ones.  Each day would have its appropriate amount of food and the snap on lid keeps the food from spoiling from being exposed to humidity in the air.

Something like this:
460_image.jpg

This is a genius idea that I may have to steal for when I have to be away from home and have someone taking care of my t.ank for me. The hardest part has been getting the feedings in since I keep my fish on a every other day schedule due to water issues I'm currently attempting to fix. 

To the OP my nephews have a betta that they simply adore. They are from south TX and keep the tank water at ambient room temp (no heater). I feel bad for the little guy sometimes simply because he's stuck in a small 1G bowl type tank and I'm almost positive that the water isn't changed or treated nearly as often as it needs to be. That aside, it has survived for nearly a year now. I think your boys would definitely enjoy a betta in a 5G because it will have room to swim and flare its fins out. In a tank that size it is possible to also keep a bottom feeder in with a betta, but depending on the water chemistry it could push the bioload if you added anything else.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back