Food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

myrxn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys so for my tank i want a veiltailed betta, several types of shrimps and maybe two ramshorn snails or two nerite snails (cant decide between ramshorn and nerite)

What food should I get? I'm in the UK (including algae wafers incase I needed them)

For a betta, I would get good quality betta pellets. There are many on the market from Hikari to Northfin. I still have some of the Northfin pellets form my last betta which I bought from Ebay.

several types of shrimps
Do you mean different species of shrimps, for example cherry shrimps and amano shrimps, or do you mean different colours of the same species, for example red cherry shrimps, blue cherry shrimps?

If you mean different colours of the same species, you are likely to end up with a tank full of brown shrimps in a couple of generations.

Do you mean different species of shrimps, for example cherry shrimps and amano shrimps, or do you mean different colours of the same species, for example red cherry shrimps, blue cherry shrimps?

If you mean different colours of the same species, you are likely to end up with a tank full of brown shrimps in a couple of generations.
no different colours of different species, cherry, blue dream, gold back, yellow back, green jade

Red cherry, blue dream, gold back, yellow back and green jade shrimps are all the same species, Neocaridina davidi. They will breed together and after a few generations the colours will merge to give brown shrimps.

Red cherry, blue dream, gold back, yellow back and green jade shrimps are all the same species, Neocaridina davidi. They will breed together and after a few generations the colours will merge to give brown shrimps.
damn :/ i wanted lots of colourful shrimp, what should I do instead?

For a betta, I would get good quality betta pellets. There are many on the market from Hikari to Northfin. I still have some of the Northfin pellets form my last betta which I bought from Ebay.
do bettas need anything else?

i wanted lots of colourful shrimp, what should I do instead?
I would choose my favourite colour and get that one, then get a betta of a different colour.

There are different species of shrimps, but they often need different conditions.

do bettas need anything else?
My bettas always had betta pellets as their main food, with bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp as treats. I used frozen cubes and cut off just enough, though for a single betta that's not very much - I also had another tank to feed as well. Most bettas will also eat baby shrimps, and some will eat adults too.
You do have to be careful with bettas as they are greedy fish and will eat everything you put in the tank even if it's a lot more than they should eat. They will also beg for food when they learn that you are the food giver - resist the temptation to give them more!

I suggest Betta Buffet Pellets (Made by Omega One) and Bug Bites (for medium to small fish) made my Fluval.

I feed my Betta 5 Buffet Pellets and 2 Bug Bites pellets per day, and let him fast over the weekend.

I've seen some stuff on having 2/3 diff types of Neocaridina davidi in their tank and their shrimps have made different colour shrimp and some like dark burgundy ones? how long will it take for them to start going and making brown shrimps? could I then just buy more colourful ones and put them in and give the brown ones to a pet store?

Pet stores are unlikely to take brown (ie wild coloured) shrimps as all their customers want colourful ones.

All the different coloured cherry shrimps have been selectively bred form the brown wild ones, and the only way to keep them pure is by allowing them to breed only with the same colour.

Pet stores are unlikely to take brown (ie wild coloured) shrimps as all their customers want colourful ones.

All the different coloured cherry shrimps have been selectively bred form the brown wild ones, and the only way to keep them pure is by allowing them to breed only with the same colour.
Okay I’m just gonna get the yellow ones then, thx for the info

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back