Food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

What food are you all using to feed your fish.

Im guessing like anything theres a cheap, average and best? - What are they?

(I did do a search as i'm guessing this has been answered alot but i couldnt find anything sorry!)

Lee

We have had a few threads, and most all of us have posted similarly in each, not surprising. There is quite a difference in foods for fish, and it pays to recognize it.

Prepared dry foods (flake, pellet, sinking) are highly nutritional if it is a quality brand. You want foods with no "fillers" like cereals, fish "meal" and such. Whole fish, kelp, spirulina, etc. Omega One brand is one of the best. I use their shrimp pellets, Veggie Rounds (both sinking) and Veggie Flakes. Another brand is New Life Spectrum; I use their basic freshwater flake. There are a couple of other newer manufacturers that other members will mention whose products have not reached me but they are just as good.

The above are high nutritional value foods and generally more than sufficient for fish. Frozen foods can be fed as treats; bloodworms should not be fed more than once a week, so this is a good treat. Frozen daphnia is a good food. Live foods I used to mess with, wingless fruit flies and worms, but not for years now as the prepared foods have increased in nutritional value so much there just doesn't seem the need. Though it is a treat for the fish, admittedly. Some blanched veggies are good, for plecos and some other fish. Not all fish seem to see them as "food" in my experience, so I gave up. Very little nutritional value, just a nice "Extra."

Hikari have a good reputation. I use their micro pellets (46% protein) and algae wafers.

We have had a few threads, and most all of us have posted similarly in each, not surprising. There is quite a difference in foods for fish, and it pays to recognize it.

Prepared dry foods (flake, pellet, sinking) are highly nutritional if it is a quality brand. You want foods with no "fillers" like cereals, fish "meal" and such. Whole fish, kelp, spirulina, etc. Omega One brand is one of the best. I use their shrimp pellets, Veggie Rounds (both sinking) and Veggie Flakes. Another brand is New Life Spectrum; I use their basic freshwater flake. There are a couple of other newer manufacturers that other members will mention whose products have not reached me but they are just as good.

The above are high nutritional value foods and generally more than sufficient for fish. Frozen foods can be fed as treats; bloodworms should not be fed more than once a week, so this is a good treat. Frozen daphnia is a good food. Live foods I used to mess with, wingless fruit flies and worms, but not for years now as the prepared foods have increased in nutritional value so much there just doesn't seem the need. Though it is a treat for the fish, admittedly. Some blanched veggies are good, for plecos and some other fish. Not all fish seem to see them as "food" in my experience, so I gave up. Very little nutritional value, just a nice "Extra."
Very nicely put, Byron. You covered it well. I prefer New Life Spectrum, Omega One, and Hikari Products. I also like Repashy Gell Foods. Skip the cheap stuff as it’s cheap for a reason.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - i'll look into new life, omega one or Hikari.

Atm there's some platys and corys in there. I've got some King British catfish food i'm dropping in for the corys/catfish pallets. I'm guessing these aren't great quality seen as that brand hasn't been mentioned! :/

From your recommendations i'm seeing they are micro pallets - guess that doesn't matter, i was only looking at flakes!

Just ordered the Hikari tropical micro pallets

Thanks
Lee

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back