Food for trochus snail

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Apwhite

Reaction score
Today I got a trochus snail which is my first addition to a newly cycled 10g. I know they feed mostly on algae and since the tank is new, it doesnā€™t have much yet. In the image below you can vaguely see a path of where heā€™s moved (Iā€™m assuming he ate the film there). Will this be enough food for him or do I need to supplement with nori?
4957BE19-9E74-4667-97FF-E439D17528A1.jpeg

Today I got a trochus snail which is my first addition to a newly cycled 10g. I know they feed mostly on algae and since the tank is new, it doesnā€™t have much yet. In the image below you can vaguely see a path of where heā€™s moved (Iā€™m assuming he ate the film there). Will this be enough food for him or do I need to supplement with nori?
View attachment 158238
Algae wafers, blanched veggies, any fish food will do...

Normally you don't add snails or a clean up crew until the tank has established and there is algae in the tank to sustain them.

If you increase lighting to 16 hours a day for a week or two, it should encourage algae to grow and the snail can eat that. Once the algae is growing, you can reduce the lighting to 12 hours a day if the algae is getting out of control.

In the mean time, a small piece of algae wafer (as suggested by @Slaphppy7) will do. You only need to add a small piece of wafer once every couple of days and remove any uneaten food after an hour or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back