Food for Neon Tetra's?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Neon1977

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thought it was the best forum to ask this question. My Neon's at the minute will only eat what they have been used to at the LFS and this is the floating and sinking pallet food. Iv tried to give them blood worms but they didn't go near them!! What other foods are good for them? If anyone feeds them bloodworms how do you go about doing it? Thanks in advance :)

I have some fish about the same size as neons. I use frozen cubes, half at one sitting, and of the half I use I shave slivers off about half of that and leave the rest as it comes. Then defrost in a bit of tank water. The big fish are quite happy with whole worms while the smaller fish eat the bits of worm.

I have some fish about the same size as neons. I use frozen cubes, half at one sitting, and of the half I use I shave slivers off about half of that and leave the rest as it comes. Then defrost in a bit of tank water. The big fish are quite happy with whole worms while the smaller fish eat the bits of worm.

Ok brill, il try them again when i next feed them in a couple of days (tank still cycling) i have the frozen cubes in also, how much would you say to use for just 6 neon's? Also do you just pop it in the tank as it is after it's defrosted?

I use Kyorin micro pellets and tetra tropical flakes and they seem to like those. I tried tetra blood worms and they ignored it. I once in awhile drop in one or two floating pond pellets and they go after that too.

For just 6 neons I'd use just the corner of a cube. Maybe cut it into 8 sections altogether.

Once it's defrosted I use a pipette to suck the worm bits out of the water and squirt them into the tank. My betta loves bloodworm and eats them from the mouth of the pipette :lol:

I use Kyorin micro pellets and tetra tropical flakes and they seem to like those. I tried tetra blood worms and they ignored it. I once in awhile drop in one or two floating pond pellets and they go after that too.

This is what they did to mine too, just swam up to it as if to say, what the hell is that and swam back off lol mine are having the probiotic tropical pallets at the minute and they LOVE them! Go at it like they haven't been fed for a year honestly! I want to try and alternate them on pallets and granules though so may purchase some tetra micro granules tomorrow see if they take to them! :)

For just 6 neons I'd use just the corner of a cube. Maybe cut it into 8 sections altogether.

Once it's defrosted I use a pipette to suck the worm bits out of the water and squirt them into the tank. My betta loves bloodworm and eats them from the mouth of the pipette :lol:

Well, i will give it a shot if i purchase one tomorrow! lol sounds good though hope they do go for them this time round as i know bloodworms are really good for them arent they! :)

This is what they did to mine too, just swam up to it as if to say, what the hell is that and swam back off lol mine are having the probiotic tropical pallets at the minute and they LOVE them! Go at it like they haven't been fed for a year honestly! I want to try and alternate them on pallets and granules though so may purchase some tetra micro granules tomorrow see if they take to them! :)
I also alternate the food and once in awhile I crush up some Wardley shrimp pellets that I feed to my cory. All the tetras seem to like that too. My glow light tetra fry only seem to go after the flakes for now.

Well, i will give it a shot if i purchase one tomorrow! lol sounds good though hope they do go for them this time round as i know bloodworms are really good for them arent they! :)

Actually, bloodworms are not that good a food for fish. Once a week as a sort of "treat" should be it for frozen bloodworms. Don't use the freeze-dried. Another frozen food that is nutritious is daphnia.

The good quality brands of flake and pellet foods are very nutritious (Omega One, New Life Spectrum, etc). And Fluval's Bug Bites (the mini size) will probably become a favourite, and these are ideal for cories too.

Actually, bloodworms are not that good a food for fish. Once a week as a sort of "treat" should be it for frozen bloodworms. Don't use the freeze-dried. Another frozen food that is nutritious is daphnia.

The good quality brands of flake and pellet foods are very nutritious (Omega One, New Life Spectrum, etc). And Fluval's Bug Bites (the mini size) will probably become a favourite, and these are ideal for cories too.

Oh ok then will try them again maybe when my tank has fully cycled! Will keep giving them the probiotic pallets for now as these are really nutritious, they love them and il try another high quality granule and flake food maybe inbetween! :)

I must have some pretty intelligent fish:fish: since they refused the the blood worms which was the freeze dried type and is not that good of food:thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back