Food For Fire Eel - Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dawsss18

Reaction score
Can any tell me where i can get prawn's for my fire eel, can they eat just ordinary frozen prawns from the supermarket? or do they need special ones? 

Would they prefer live prawns or frozen?

Also, same questions for earthworms, where can i buy there from? can i use worms from the garden???

Anything else i could feed it? 

It loves bloodworms but he is getting quite large now and i've had people tell me to feed him prawns or earthworms. Also the other fish tend to steal a lot of the blood worms so it looks like he isn't getting enough nutrients from the bloodworms that he manages to get before the other fish! :( 

Many thanks in advance. 

How big/old is he? What size is your setup?

He should eat prawns from the supermarket no problem, either fresh, or defrosted from frozen. If you fancy trying worms, you could try an angling shop, maybe?

The fire eel is about 8-10 inch, not sure how old. I have a roughly 400 litre tank.

My fire eel is maybe 5-inches long and will eat normal shelled prawns purchased from supermarket (although it can't eat a full one yet!!). It will readily feed out of my fingers (which it has done from two days after I got it) so the other fish don't get a chance to eat its bloodworms, etc. I also feed it frozen Cichlid mix and muscle meat which it will readily tuck into.

I have to say that the fire eel is a very cool fish. I have had it now for just over two weeks and it is getting very social; it will happily swim to my hand and appears to recognise me when I approach the tank. It also seems to enjoy 'playing' with my Yo Yo loaches!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back