Food for corys

NLS small fish pellets
Fluval bug bites
Omega one shrimp pellets
Omega one veggie rounds

Actually that's what the whole tank gets.

Quality prepared/dried foods and alternating three (or more as you like) is best. I use omega One Shrimp Pellets, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Bug Bites (forgot who makes these). I also have Nutrafin's sinking Tabs with earthworm though I tend to feed this less often because of the "fillers," but once a week or less is not going to do much considering the high qualiity of the others mentioned. Ian Fuller who owns Corydoras World has a similar view, and he also recommends a sinking tab food which I believe is only available in the UK (i.e., not over here in Canada or US so far as I know) that is similar to the Nutrafin Tab. Ian advised the manufacturer when they were developing this product, so I'd have it if it was available locally. Ian knows far more about Corydoras than I ever will.

I also feed frozen bloodworms and daphnia once a week a couple hours after the water change as a "treat" for their putting up with my crashing about their home. Worms should not be feed more than once a week. And the freeze-dried stuff is not advisable.

I feed my fish omega one flake, fluval bug bites and NLS small fish pellets.

Problem i have is ive got barbs, danio's and rainbows in my tanks and foods lucky to reach half way down the tank so cories wont get too much if any flake etc

I feed the cories and BN pleco veggie rounds just before lights out so these are getting to them. Might try some shrimp pellets and look up sinking tabs.

Thanks guys

I'm not sure about the feeding habits of barbs, danio's and rainbows or whether they need to be fed flakes. My tetras and pencilfish are very enthusiastic feeders. I have learnt to feed enough of the NLS pellets and bug bites that enough reach the substrate for the corys. With 30 corys and a BN I don't have to worry too much about a bit extra ;) and the characins do go down to the substrate to help out. I feed the shrimp and veggie pellets shortly before lights out. The characins will attack these with gusto but by the time they have softened sufficiently the lights have gone out and the corys are able to eat at their leisure once its dark.

Some days I only do an early feed (NLS or bug bites), some days I only do a late feed (shrimp pellets or veggie rounds) and some days I do both. I don't have a set pattern for these but I do always NOT feed at all on the same day of the week. I also get to travel for work a couple of times a month so they get the odd total break of somwhere between 2-5 days.

I also got that recommendation from Ian Fuller regarding the tabs. A site I am also a member of. But, the recommendation is not in the US so--

I feed NLS food exclusively. It is an excellent prepared food. I feed three types of pellets and NLS Flake ( which they love as well) as a staple. I also rotate frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and freeze-dried blackworms.

PS:
Been feeding my wild cordoras eques, brochis splendens, and corydoras duplicareous freeze-dried blackkworms for 5+ years at least 2 x weekly without an issue. I can personally give testament that they cause no issues if not overfeeding.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the feeding habits of barbs, danio's and rainbows or whether they need to be fed flakes. My tetras and pencilfish are very enthusiastic feeders. I have learnt to feed enough of the NLS pellets and bug bites that enough reach the substrate for the corys. With 30 corys and a BN I don't have to worry too much about a bit extra ;) and the characins do go down to the substrate to help out. I feed the shrimp and veggie pellets shortly before lights out. The characins will attack these with gusto but by the time they have softened sufficiently the lights have gone out and the corys are able to eat at their leisure once its dark.

Some days I only do an early feed (NLS or bug bites), some days I only do a late feed (shrimp pellets or veggie rounds) and some days I do both. I don't have a set pattern for these but I do always NOT feed at all on the same day of the week. I also get to travel for work a couple of times a month so they get the odd total break of somwhere between 2-5 days.
Are the fluval big bites ok to feed regular or are these classed as a treat. I usual feed mine these twice a week?

P.s looked up omega one shrimp pellets and they do a tub of shrimp & lobster pellets. Ever used those?

I also got that recommendation from Ian Fuller regarding the tabs. A site I am also a member of. But, the recommendation is not in the US so--

I feed NLS food exclusively. It is an excellent prepared food. I feed three types of pellets and NLS Flake ( which they love as well) as a staple. I also rotate frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and freeze-dried blackworms.

PS:
Been feeding my wild cordoras eques, brochis splendens, and corydoras duplicareous freeze-dried blackkworms for 5+ years at least 2 x weekly without an issue. I can personally give testament that they cause no issues if not overfeeding.
NLS seem to be very highly recommended along with omega one. Certainly on this forum anyway :)

Are the fluval big bites ok to feed regular or are these classed as a treat. I usual feed mine these twice a week?

P.s looked up omega one shrimp pellets and they do a tub of shrimp & lobster pellets. Ever used those?

I use Bug Bites twice a week too. With three "basic" sinking foods, alternating daily means each gets used twice a week, though I also include a fast day every week so it can vary. And the seventh day, water change day, is when the frozen treats are fed.

I keep micro worms for feeding fry. I often put some in for my corries. I assume they find them on the substrate but microworms are too small to see on the sand.

My Cory's are part of the cleanup crew and just get flake food* that gets past the other fish. Some might disagree, but they've been growing strong for 8-10 years.
* 'Special Blend' - I mix Tetra, Omega One, and Cobalt Tropical Flakes .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back