FOMO (for fellow oldies that's "Fear Of Missing Out")

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Where's all this bad language? There's been two warnings about it now and I feel like I'm missing all the fun threads :-(

In Irish language there isn't really swear words. There's some modern adaptations alright but swearing in Irish (Gaeilge) was actually more like literal cursing.

Like "may the bad weather leave with you!" Or "my cat's curse upon you" :rofl:

As none contain actual swear words I'll link some.

But in modern times Irish people swear a lot (in English).

Where's all this bad language? There's been two warnings about it now and I feel like I'm missing all the fun threads :-(

In Irish language there isn't really swear words. There's some modern adaptations alright but swearing in Irish (Gaeilge) was actually more like literal cursing.

This one tickled me

That you may be badly positioned on a windy day

Is badly positioned perhaps being up a ladder outside?

I dont know put if you pull a silly face there's that saying "the wind will change and you'll be stuck like that" haha so maybe it's related

My grandmother still could speak gaeilge and so did my aunts and uncles, they were from southern Ireland MacCarthy

My grandmother still could speak gaeilge and so did my aunts and uncles, they were from southern Ireland MacCarthy

I love Irish. It's not very well used outside of some areas where Irish is their first language. My school from 4 to 12 yrs was in Irish & I studied it for a year in college too. Do you know what part of Ireland?

I know the family (clan) was in southern Ireland and some still live there but I never met them. My grandmother was related to George Cohan and he wanted my mother to sing and dance in one of his Broadway shows when she was around 12 but my Great Grandmother would not allow it.

Well it always makes a nice Holiday. Kerry & West Cork are southern and both absolutely beautiful counties.

I didn’t realise Irish was taught as a language but I only found out Welsh was taught in certain schools in wales earlier this year , is there any benefits in teaching dying languages other than traditions?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back