Foggy Tank Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

red_fish_blue_fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
There is a slight white fog in my new betta tank, is that just the settling of bacteria? I set it up 2 days ago. I used to be really into fish, and I thought that white fog was bacteria, but I want to be sure. It is a ten gallon tank. Should I get Aqua Clear, or just wait it out for a week or so? What is the best filtration system to use on Bettas. I like Bio wheels, just wondering if I should pick one up. Because right now all I am using is a generic bubbler in the corner of the tank. :sad: I know, bad Betta owner. I can pick up a filter next week though...they do not seem to like anything that bubbles an aweful lot, so I am thinking that a Bio Wheel would be my best bet...it would be just enough to create surface movement...any suggestions? :thumbs:

I dunno...I have several large bio-wheels and they're making a racket on the water surface as I type :p But the small one may work for you. The only problem with those is the way the intake tube it set up, it's quite often that I hear of Mr.Bettas getting their finnage sucked into it. For some reason they like to loop themselves around the intake tube and then... :crazy: I suppose it feels good like a back scratcher until things take a terrible turn for the worse :lol:

There are quite a few little internal filters on the market. Where the entire filter goes into the tank and suction cups inside. I love those. Jebo makes one that I would recommend to everybody,but apparently they're hard to come by. I know a Whisper internal is quite popular amongst the filtered betta tank crowd.

Shop around and look for one with an adjustable flow :thumbs:

The white fog could be the beginning of an algae bloom.Or from your gravel. I don't imagine you would have any sort of bacteria blooming in an unused tank.Run the filter for a couple of days to see if it clears out.

I use sponge filters in most of my betta tanks. Good biological filtration once they're cycled, and no chance of fins getting sucked in. A handy thing with the twin-sponge types is that you can swap one sponge for a new one, and have a mature sponge to start up a new tank.

I have a couple of 15 gallon tanks with small internal power filters, but wouldn't recommend them for betta tanks as the current is fairly strong.

:dunno: My tank water just got worse. It is a white cloud. Algea Bloom is greenish. I am so lost. This tank has been used before, and I cleaned out my rocks. It was clearing up, and then I used aqua clear, and it got worse again! Any ideas? I think I might just taake out my Bettas until I figure out the problem. :sad:

What is aqua clear?
Also,what sort of filter medium are you using? Floss is the best for filtering out fine particles.

Did you rinse your gravel well before you added it to the tank? It happens to me when i set a new tank, the gravel dust is left and it leaves white cloudy water.

Dont be putting meds in your water before you ID it. Wait for a few days.

rememeber... Clear water doesn't mean healthy water.

Aqua clear helps to clear water, but it getss foggier before it gets better. I used it, and my water got worse for a day, and is now totally clear. I removed my fish for a week to just stabilize the aquarium. Then I will put them back in.

Try not to use chemicals like that. They do more harm than good. The tank will eventrually clear on it's own with simple water changes and good filtration.

Most reactions

Back