Flying foxes, workaholics!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a couple of small flying foxes for my tank in the hope that the would clean up some algae for me. Wow! They are amazing they never stop they have cleaned my rocks and cleaned lots of green spot off my plant leaves and even some hairy algea off my dwarf hair grass. My plants look really healthy since putting them in. Thought I’d share incase anyone’s having a slight problem with algea. These guys are worth a thought!

Oooh I had forgotten all about Flying Foxes. Yes, I remember them being excellent algae eaters! Those are going on the list for my new tank once it's cycled...

Hi guys,

I got a couple of small flying foxes for my tank in the hope that the would clean up some algae for me. Wow! They are amazing they never stop they have cleaned my rocks and cleaned lots of green spot off my plant leaves and even some hairy algea off my dwarf hair grass. My plants look really healthy since putting them in. Thought I’d share incase anyone’s having a slight problem with algea. These guys are worth a thought!
I love flying foxes. I may look into getting some! :good:

Word of caution about flying foxes, they get about 6 inches and are a shoaling fish that belong in groups of at least 6, they also require long tanks with strong currents as they are a long slender muscular strong swimmer. While they do eat a lot of different kinds of algae once they get bigger and are no longer jueviniles theyre appetite for algae slows and they stop eating as much and will eat more flake and sinking pellets.
One should never get a fish to solve a problem unless that fish needs are met first.
I love flying fox i think theyre fun fish but they are becoming the hobbies new pleco where one will just throw one in any size tank hoping itll eat all your algae.
Got lots of algae?, decrease your light, decrease feeding, do more frequent water changes, buy fast growing plants, dont kill the snails. A fish should never be the solution to an algae problem.

Last edited:
Word of caution about flying foxes, they get about 6 inches and are a shoaling fish that belong in groups of at least 6, they also require long tanks with string currents as they are a long slender muscular strong swimmer. While they do eat a lot of different kinds of algae once they get bigger and are no longer jueviniles theyre appetite for algae slows and they stop eating as much and will eat more flake and sinking pellets.
One should never get a fish to solve a problem unless that fish needs are met first.
I love flying fox i think theyre fun fish but they are becoming the hobbies new pleco where one will just throw one in any size tank hoping itll eat all your algae.
Got lots of algae?, decrease your light, decrease feeding, do more frequent water changes, buy fast growing plants, dont kill the snails. A fish should never be the solution to an algae problem.

:thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back