Flying fox

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Harry

Reaction score
I just bought a FlyingFox today at the tropical fish speciality store. He's about three inches, maybe a little more just now. (see pics) Will he get on with my 5 leopard cories i plan to introduce next week? Since they both occupy the same tank area? Should i be ok? He behaves perfectly from what ive seen, dashing about and hiding, not bothering any of the other fish (zebra danios and a betta) which is good. HE's the regular flying fox, right? Not the siamese one? A lot of info seems to conflict exactly which is which.

thanks in advance guys!

-Harry

Well, it doesnt appear to be letting me attach pics, but here's what he looks like: http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/S_a_eater.jpg

The flying fox may be come a little aggressive over a patch of territory and may harass other fish... aslong as you have a fairly reasonable size tank it shouldnt be as problem... good luck :look:

There is a big difference between the Flying Fox and the Siamese Algae Eater you are linking too. The FF is more territorial, and can be a little aggressive, not bad, but a little. It eats some algae, but not to the same extent as the SAE. The SAE is a shoaling fish really, and should be kept in a small group. It is one of the few fish that will eat red/beard/hair algae, and is a much milder mannered fish.

FF: The black stripe has smooth edges, there are a few markings in the fins, 2 pairs of small barbels.

SAE: The black stripe has a serrated edge, the fins are clear, and only 1 pair of small barbels.

Well, i put the cories in, and he didnt bother them at all. He seems really great just now, i havent seen him harass any fish at all, and he seems to have become best friends with the betta - they always hang about in the sameplant or swim next to each other lol. THe tank has plenty of hidey holes and plants so it should be fine:)

He is the Flying fox btw (checked at thekrib.com)

-Harry

Most reactions

Back