Fluval U1 -- For 10g Reef Tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nano_reef_ubergeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon reef tank with 10 lbs dead rock and 3 lbs live rock. I'm thinking of getting a fluval U1 filter because it's small and I heard that they are pretty quiet, but I opened one of these up in one store and all I could see was one sponge filter. (I'm wondering if you can get a carbon filter for this little baby. )

I know that someone is going to tell me -- get the U2. But those are fairly big and take up more space --- and it's only a 10 gallon tank. Plus, I did open up a Fluval U2 and the pads in the box were combination poly and carbon .... I don't know if you can buy a separate poly filter with no carbon on it. I don't want to use carbon filtration all the time in my tank.

Right now I have a Aqua Clear 20, that makes too much noise --- I heard that some of these take time to break in -- but --- I'm probably going to end up taking it back to the store where I got it.

I have a 10 gallon reef tank with 10 lbs dead rock and 3 lbs live rock. I'm thinking of getting a fluval U1 filter because it's small and I heard that they are pretty quiet, but I opened one of these up in one store and all I could see was one sponge filter. (I'm wondering if you can get a carbon filter for this little baby. )

I know that someone is going to tell me -- get the U2. But those are fairly big and take up more space --- and it's only a 10 gallon tank. Plus, I did open up a Fluval U2 and the pads in the box were combination poly and carbon .... I don't know if you can buy a separate poly filter with no carbon on it. I don't want to use carbon filtration all the time in my tank.

Right now I have a Aqua Clear 20, that makes too much noise --- I heard that some of these take time to break in -- but --- I'm probably going to end up taking it back to the store where I got it.
hi and welcome!!!
you might want to move the thread into the salty section. Betta folks may not be very helpful in this dilemma :)
cheers

oh ..... I just started .... there is only live sand ..... 3 pounds live rock and 10 pounds dead rock. I'm told that it will be a minimum of 4 weeks before I can add any fish ....

(It may take me a while to move this to the saltwater forum .... because I don't know how to do that)

Not sure about the U1, but the U2 should come with a carbon insert. I imagine the U1 is quite similar? If not, you can buy the extras.

I am thinking of doing that .... but I don't feel that I know much about it ..... I guess I could buy tetra replacement filters .... cut them up .... put carbon on the inside and use nylon thread to sew it a little ..... anything to avoid having a noisy HOB filter ..... I bought and Aqua Clear 20 and I'm going to take it back because it's just too noisy ....

I may try get by with only a Koralia Powerhead and no filter for a while ..... the Nano Koralia has 240 gallon per hour movement and I'm wondering if that's too much for a 10 gallon tank ..... there is this small green boxy Italian made powerhead that sits at the bottom of the tank ... it has 100 gallon per hour movement.

I have not made any decision yet .... just trying no to worry about it too much ..... just postponing any decision until I know more .....

-_-

well .... I'm thinking a small six line wrasse .... and a small green clown goby .....

I might have trouble trying to keep both of them once they get bigger ..... but a clown goby may not eat much .... (they seem to spend most of the time resting in place)...... I may even be able to keep both of them as adults.

Most reactions

Back