Fluval surface skimmer repair question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mikeingeorgia

Reaction score
When I had my tanks set up before, I'd always used a Fluval surface skimmer attached to an Aquaclear Mini filter to keep the surface of the water clear. Over time though, the suction cups have lost their flexibility and don't really stay on anymore. I've been debating whether to simply buy another whole skimmer so I'd have fresh suction cups, or somehow superglue some new suction cups or magnets onto the existing suction cup bracket. The new suction cup option seems to be the simplest, but the magnet option seems like it would be a one time repair (assuming the glue never comes loose). Anyone tried anything like this and what were your results?

I haven't tried magnets but I use to silicon the suction cups to the glass. Unfortunately plastic suction cups always go hard and become useless.

Have you contacted Fluval and asked them where you can get replacement suction cups?

Not so far. I thought I'd be able to remove the old cups from the bracket and simply put on new cups. But, they weren't very flexible and it broke the plastic tip off of the bracket. I haven't seen any replacement brackets, just the whole assembly.

ok gotcha. In which case your idea of magnets is probably the best option short of buying a replacement part. Plain old boring superglue works well on plastic and is non toxic when dry. We use it in marine tanks to glue fragments of live coral onto limestone rocks. As long as it's dry before you put it in the tank it is fine. It sets quickly and should do the job of sticking a small magnet to the skimmer. Then have another magnet outside the tank on the glass and away you go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back