Fluval Spec 3 Or 5 Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Joshifer

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been keeping freshwater and want to get in salt water. I noticed the fluval a spec 3 & 5 I like because everything is housed behind. And I have a seperate tiny 92gph power head has nice flow. Could get a stronger one if needed. Actually all I want is one. Max 2 orange clown fish (nemo!!!) I don't wanna get into corals and anemones since their tank raised clowns.

Would base rock work as a biological filter providing I point a PH on it?
Of course I'd be buying live sand. As I said before I don't wanna get into live rock and curing and all the hitch hikers. And I want 1 max 2 small clowns MAYBE a tiny starfish. Any info is greatly appreciated ^^

One more question. Can I seed a new cycling salt water tank with fresh water bacteria? (Filter sponge squeezings. Gravel in a nylon. Etc) or is saltwater bacteria completely different from fresh.

Both are way too small for clowns & starfish & tbh too small for any fish.
In a salty tank the live rock does the filtering so no you couldn't seed with your freshwater filter

Lillefishy is correct - these tanks are too small for the fish listed. You really need to be looking at a minimum of 20gal for a clown pair. See here if you haven't already looked at it:

Marine Aquarium FAQ
Common Marine Equipment

Live sand does NOT substitute for live rock in terms of filtration capacity. The way to avoid hitchhikers on live rock is to by bacteria-cultured or very low quality ocean cultured rock. The more barren it looks, the less likely it is to have any interesting life hiding in it. Most live rock bought from a store does not require curing in a vat if it is transported carefully (i.e. not overheated or left to freeze) and can instead be placed directly in the tank and allowed to undergo a brief cycle (anywhere from no cycle to a couple of weeks with smaller tanks). 

Also, please do not put any true stars in a nano tank unless they are Asterina stars. While some brittle and serpent stars can be kept in nanos (but largeer ones, as the commonly available species grow to big to go into those two Fluval tanks), true stars are problematic. Aside from Asterina species, those that are peaceful detritivores will die of starvation in small systems, and the species that are better feeders are predators that pose a risk to tankmates.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back