Fluval Roma 125 Condensation Problem

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me or if anyone has any suggestions on how t resolve this issue
First let me explain, I have a Fluval Roma 125 and the condensation obviously rises up onto the underneath of the lid. However there is some sort of lip where the lid fits onto the tank. The problem is the condensation is rising up there and when it condenses it is then running down the side of the tank and leaving what can only be described as a trail of limescale.
I have now got to the point where I am fed up of of removing the limescale weekly which at first was a pain until I discovered using the blade of a Stanley knife.
So the question is basically how would you guys revolve this? I've obviously considered sealing it from the outside but I don't want to leave any visible residue/sealant to ruin the view of the tank after working hard to get it looking so nice. I have also considered condensation trays however there is no where to fit these unless anybody has some unknown to me method?
So yes a very irritating little issue that is just gradually making me mad!
I look forward to hearing any suggestions from people who are willing to help
Thanks in advance

Liam Goodaire

I have the same issue but just leave the front flap open overnight.

Ok I can try that, however it's not just occurring on a night so I might try prop it open just slightly somehow permanently and see if that works.
When does yours occur? And does leaving the flap open prevent the issue or just improve it?

Liam Goodaire

I have the same issue but just leave the front flap open overnight.

I am trying this for this week to see what the results are however I aren't really happy with the appearance, I mean it defeats the inject of spending both time on money on the and getting it to a high standard and then to be ruined by the front lid open! The problem is that it ruins the image of the tank and opening the lid may improve the issue however still ruining the image!
Any more permanent suggestions anybody?
Thanks

Liam Goodaire

Since this post is struggling for replies ill put a thought forward, what do you think to this...
If I get some sponge and fill the underneath of the lips in to prevent the water vapour travelling up past the lip to condense, then allow time to remove any moisture what is already there, in theory this should temporarily resolve the issue until I find a more permanent solution?
Please help guys over 60 views with only one reply is very disappointing and barely feels worthwhile.

Liam Goodaire

Mine seems to only happen overnight to be honest, of which unless you have severe jumpers this dont pose a problem to the look of the tank, do you have a spray bar splashing against the front glass?, if so this may be causing the problem to be more apparent.

Mine seems to only happen overnight to be honest, of which unless you have severe jumpers this dont pose a problem to the look of the tank, do you have a spray bar splashing against the front glass?, if so this may be causing the problem to be more apparent.

No none of the fish ever jump even slightly, and no I don't have a spray bar either however the surface of the water is constantly circulating!
Leaving the lid open didn't resolve the issue either.
I have now dried and cleaned under the grove and filled packed with sponge, it isn't visible and may not work however I felt it was worth a go! The logic behind it is hopefully the vapour will condense in the sponge and drip back into the tank before leaking over the glass, whether it works or not is still to be seen haha!
Thanks for the reply and tips though!

Liam Goodaire

Do you have a photo of the problem area? I'm not familiar with the tank and am having difficult envisioning what you mean.

Do you have a photo of the problem area? I'm not familiar with the tank and am having difficult envisioning what you mean.

Just taken this one, like I say I've actually packed it with sponge last night and woke up this morning to the glass being bone dry with no trail of water at all.
Touch wood!
But here's the pic sorry about the quality it was hard to get a picture without the tank light on
3d250777-949b-482f-a813-fd0df4de95e5.jpg

Obviously the circled area is the lip described which is now packed with sponge!
Cheers

Liam Goodaire

Hi Liam

I have a fluval 125 but can't work out from your explanation what is happening.

I get condensation on the underneath of the front and back flap and also on the lamp holder in the middle but this all drips back into the tank. I don't understand how yours is getting on to the outside of the tank causing limescale to build up.....

Can you add some detail ??

Claire

Hi Liam

I have a fluval 125 but can't work out from your explanation what is happening.

I get condensation on the underneath of the front and back flap and also on the lamp holder in the middle but this all drips back into the tank. I don't understand how yours is getting on to the outside of the tank causing limescale to build up.....

Can you add some detail ??

Claire

There's nothing else to it except from what you just said, it's very strange!
I googled it first off and it seems a few people have the same problem and when they have contacted fluval it turns out to be a design fault!
Unfortunately I cannot contact fluval expecting since I bought the tank second hand but I would like to emphasise its not damaged in anyway so it isn't anything that's been inflicted on the tank!
I believe the fault is that the lid sits onto the tank and although it is fitted its obviously not sealed....
Sorry for the lack of details but like I said there's not much more to it then whats been said.
Hope you can help

Liam Goodaire

They must have changed the design then - my tank is nearly two years old. There is no way that condensation could get out as it has to drip off- rather than defy physics and go uphill and round corners ......

Sorry can't suggest anything.

Condensation shouldn't leave trails as in theory it should be just 100% condensed water.

I have had issues when I used an air curtain of water dripping down the back of my tank. This was due to the air curtain being too vigorous and causing splashing and water to collect on the tank lid and run down the back. Turning the air down and/or moving the air curtain away from the back of the tank cured the problem.

That logistically is true however i can assure you thats what is happening.
There is no splashing what so ever, obviously I have the surface being disrupted and circulating to allow gaseous exchange so it's not like I can change that.
Ever since its been packed with sponge it's been sorted however over time that will grow mould so obviously this cannot be permanent unless I have to seal the sponge but that doesn't appeal to me!

Liam Goodaire

Can you take a daytime photo - from the outside of the tank - from above the tank perhaps ? As I have the same tank I'm so curious to work out what's going on........ Is it just one side of the tank or one end of the tank or all way round ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back