Fluval Lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iā€™m just wondering whatā€™s the best setup for this light on the Bluetooth app for plants, Java fern, anubius etc and a couple of fast growing easy low demand plants.

Red
Green
Blue
White
Can change the % itā€™s a standard bulb that comes with the Fluval Roma 90L

I had the older version of this with the remote and customised my light in a way that killed my plants so I can't be of help haha! But contributing a warning that you can get it wrong with these. I specifically got my Twinstar light because you can only turn the brightness up and down so I didnt do it again lol!

Wills

I had the older version of this with the remote and customised my light in a way that killed my plants so I can't be of help haha! But contributing a warning that you can get it wrong with these. I specifically got my Twinstar light because you can only turn the brightness up and down so I didnt do it again lol!

Wills

Oh wow this is the reason I donā€™t fiddle haha! But I do have a twinstar Iā€™m on setting up in my second tank which will be co2 injection too. How do you turn the brightness up and down on them?

Oh wow this is the reason I donā€™t fiddle haha! But I do have a twinstar Iā€™m on setting up in my second tank which will be co2 injection too. How do you turn the brightness up and down on them?
You have to buy a third party dimmer, there are 2 types one with schedule setting and an other that is like an off switch.

There are loads of videos on working out plant spectrums though, the new Chiheros light has the same kind of thing but yeah I like the Twinstar because its just simple. Realistically I'm not going to do anything more ground breaking than companies like Twinstar so dont feel like I need that level of customisation, maybe if I was doing an IAPLC tank and wanted super red plants or something but yeah I'm good :)

Wills

You have to buy a third party dimmer, there are 2 types one with schedule setting and an other that is like an off switch.

There are loads of videos on working out plant spectrums though, the new Chiheros light has the same kind of thing but yeah I like the Twinstar because its just simple. Realistically I'm not going to do anything more ground breaking than companies like Twinstar so dont feel like I need that level of customisation, maybe if I was doing an IAPLC tank and wanted super red plants or something but yeah I'm good :)

Wills
I mainly ask due to brown algae on my moss and on my Anubis leaves. Itā€™s a new ish tank.

Iā€™ll have a look at those dimmers!

I mainly ask due to brown algae on my moss and on my Anubis leaves. Itā€™s a new ish tank.

Iā€™ll have a look at those dimmers!
Have you set the 45 up? Make sure you share some pics - brown algae in a new tank is usually diatoms and as long as your lights are not on too long and you dont have issues in your tap water (eg high nitrate or phosphate) should go by itself.

Riverwood sell them I think thats where I got mine from - are you local to Riverwood btw or are you ordering online?

Wills

Have you set the 45 up? Make sure you share some pics - brown algae in a new tank is usually diatoms and as long as your lights are not on too long and you dont have issues in your tap water (eg high nitrate or phosphate) should go by itself.

Riverwood sell them I think thats where I got mine from - are you local to Riverwood btw or are you ordering online?

Wills

Iā€™ve not set it up yet buddy, awaiting for HOB filter and soil to arrive should be here tomorrow, I got it from river wood delivered Iā€™m from north east UK.

This will have co2 injection too first time doing it but donā€™t want the light at 100% straight away.

Iā€™ve not set it up yet buddy, awaiting for HOB filter and soil to arrive should be here tomorrow, I got it from river wood delivered Iā€™m from north east UK.

This will have co2 injection too first time doing it but donā€™t want the light at 100% straight away.
Ah cool :) if you were local I was going to ask you to check out some rocks I've seen on their website haha! But if you are north east have you heard of Horizon Aquatics?

Wills

Ah cool :) if you were local I was going to ask you to check out some rocks I've seen on their website haha! But if you are north east have you heard of Horizon Aquatics?

Wills

Yes mate itā€™s a beautiful place! Itā€™s 30 mins from me Iā€™ve was just there last weekend and the weekend before. Some absolutely stunning show tanks too. They have some kit!

They also have the most stunning Betts fish Iā€™ve ever seen. And the shrimp collection is stunning!

If you haven't then I suggest you get aquainted with them.
They have become my absolute favourit go-to place.
They have most everything you need to set up a tank or 2, and some fantastic display tanks all fully aquascaped that will make your eyes pop.
I just got the Chihiros from them and it's fantastic.

They have most everything you need to set up a tank or 2, and some fantastic display tanks all fully aquascaped that will make your eyes pop.
Ah, cross posting.

I absolutely love it I even took my friend whoā€™s never had fish. He then came home with a tank light, filter hard scape etc to get him going.

Looks wicked! Howā€™s it looking as of today?
Pretty good. It has a problem with hair algae right now though the velvet blue and coral red shrimp are enjoying the feast. Also the oto's have a go at it.
I'm due to give the short grass the first cutting soon so will also try to rub down the wooden hair algae, and trim the plants that have it too.
There's been some breeding as I see the odd fry swimming about lately but I ain't certain if it's the CPD's or the Chili or Dwarf Rasboras that have managed.
I put the tank on live stream from time to time alternated between that one and the other aquascaped one with green neon tetras and Scarlet Badis.
The camera is running right now and if you drop into here it'll be switched on.
I sometimes just sit for ages watching the activity, especially from the Panda Corys. If you watch on a table or mobile phone you can do a stretch zoom too, to enlarge an area of the tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back