Fluval Flex 9 gallon Stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ogelthorpe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just setup my tank (pic below) and waiting for it to cycle. Fluval Flex 9 with Seachem Flourite Black natural substrate, including about 20+ assorted live plants, spiderwood and blue seriyu stone. I realize options may be limited for such a small tank, but looking for any suggestions you might have for stocking combinations while I wait for the cycle....PH is 6.8-7 and hardness is listed as 4-26 for our city. Suggestions are welcome! Also thinking about removing the large rock on top in the attached pic - any thoughts on that too? Thanks!
fluval flex 9 day 4.jpg

That large rock would probably look good on the left and in behind the wood, so the rock juts up between the vertical branch and the left side wall, if that makes sense. I am assuming the rock as now pictured is actually two chunks, the larger being the top, so I would leave the lower chunk where it is. I think this would balance better, making the space seem larger rather than smaller.

As for fish, obviously a solitary male Betta is one option. But if you want more fish, you should look at the "nano" sized species, of which there are many that would suit your water parameters and this aquascape.

One fish someone will likely mention, and I first thought if, is the pygmy or dwarf cory. But I would not ever put these fish on this substrate. I had flourite some years back, and within a week the panda and similis cories had no barbels and one panda even had a chunk of its lower jaw sliced off by the sharpness of the flourite; this surprised me, because in my hand it had felt smooth. Bad assumption. You could change the flourite for play sand, it is safe, inert, and your options for fish would increase. To be honest, after I removed the poor cories, I kept the Flourite for two years but plant growth w2as not noticeably any better than it subsequently was with play sand. As you are in Canada, Home Depot and Lowe's carry Quikrete Play Sand which is very safe; the dark grey is my preference over the buff tone, but both are safe.

I really like ember tetras for this size tank. A lot of people might consider them a bit boring or beginnerish but they look very nice once they color up.

That large rock would probably look good on the left and in behind the wood, so the rock juts up between the vertical branch and the left side wall, if that makes sense. I am assuming the rock as now pictured is actually two chunks, the larger being the top, so I would leave the lower chunk where it is. I think this would balance better, making the space seem larger rather than smaller.

As for fish, obviously a solitary male Betta is one option. But if you want more fish, you should look at the "nano" sized species, of which there are many that would suit your water parameters and this aquascape.

One fish someone will likely mention, and I first thought if, is the pygmy or dwarf cory. But I would not ever put these fish on this substrate. I had flourite some years back, and within a week the panda and similis cories had no barbels and one panda even had a chunk of its lower jaw sliced off by the sharpness of the flourite; this surprised me, because in my hand it had felt smooth. Bad assumption. You could change the flourite for play sand, it is safe, inert, and your options for fish would increase. To be honest, after I removed the poor cories, I kept the Flourite for two years but plant growth w2as not noticeably any better than it subsequently was with play sand. As you are in Canada, Home Depot and Lowe's carry Quikrete Play Sand which is very safe; the dark grey is my preference over the buff tone, but both are safe.
Great advice! Really like the idea of pygmy cories and happy you mentioned the issues with them and the flourite substrate. If I changed the substrate to the quikcrete, how many pygmy cories could I fit in this tank?

I really like ember tetras for this size tank. A lot of people might consider them a bit boring or beginnerish but they look very nice once they color up.
Thanks very much - Great suggestion. I'm a beginner so hardy fish would likely be a great choice for me and from the videos I've seen they color up nicely! How many embers would you suggest in a tank this size and what (if any) tank mates would you suggest with them?

Great advice! Really like the idea of pygmy cories and happy you mentioned the issues with them and the flourite substrate. If I changed the substrate to the quikcrete, how many pygmy cories could I fit in this tank?

With pygmy cories, you need a decent number, and I would have 9-12 in this tank. I had 10 pygmy cories and 11 dwarf rasboras (Boraras brigittae) in a 10g several years ago, and I could have had more of each, or another species or two. The Ember Tetra is the same size as the Boraras species of rasbora.

As Byron said, I would go with 9-13. Mine all stay pretty tight together, and they tend to move as a group.

you could do a betta tank with pygmy corydoras. ok and hear me out on this, you could maybe have a dwarf gourami in a space like that with some sorta bottom dweller. I've personally never tried a DG in a 10 gal but it might work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back