FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KayceeChris

Reaction score
Hi guys.
It’s just a query really, we have a 160L tank for our tropical fish & currently have a fluval u3 filter in place. We have 24 small tropical fish in there at the mo. We were thinking of swapping it for a fluval u4 filter, although we’re worried it may be too strong for our guppies. Any advice/ recommendations? Ty

Is there a particular reason for the change? If its doing its job don't change it.

Is there a particular reason for the change? If its doing its job don't change it.
The only reason being is because someone told us that the u3 isn’t strong enough for a 160L tank and would need the u4. We have brought the u4 but just seemed a bit much for our guppies when they were swimming

I wouldn't bother. The U3 is rated for tanks up to 150l. You can take that with a pinch of salt - the manufacturers always use worst case scenarios and the idea that more filtration is better is not always true. if it is a 160 liter tank it will have less than 150l of water in it anyway.

You'd be surprised how little filtration you actually need.

If your tank is established (no ammonia or nitrite) and water clarity from mechanical filtration is up to your standards......you have enough filtration.

Hi.
Why would you want to swap the filter? Is something wrong with it?
Generally current/water flow isn't a problem as long as it's escapable, and it doesn't affect the entire area of your tank. :)

I agree with others recommending keeping what you have. I have a 40g (160 liter) tank that had a dual sponge filter for three years. The fish appreciated this, as they were all small characins (pencilfish, hatchetfish, small tetras) that like quiet water. Live plants too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back