Fluval Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leestaite

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting of getting a fluval edge and have decided to add fish gradually until I have this stock, but want to know if it is viable in the fluval edge.

1x black moor goldfish
1x panda moor goldfish
6x white cloud minnows
4x cherry barbs
4x corydoras catfish

and hornwort and java fern as plants

I have research these fish and they are compatable with each other but I'm unsure if the numbers are too big for the tank (23 litres) I'm looking at. If you could give me reassurance or advice I'd be very gratefull.

There is so much wrong here, I don't even know where to start. I may be slightly callous in my writing but I'm just about to run off to work, so please forgive me.
1) Tank needs to be cycled before adding fish, there are masses of information on the net and on these forums about said things.
2) Goldfish will without a doubt get too big for that tank.
3) Cherry Barbs are tropical, as are are corydoras, so neither are compatibly with cold-water goldfish.
4) Corydoras require access to air at all times, they require space above the water line, the edge does not have this.
5) Out of the entire list, I would say the only fish that would work in this tank are the minnows, or possibly the cherry barbs if you add a heater.

Sorry, this isn't going to work:

1x black moor goldfish - grow to 10+ inches, should have at least 4ft aquarium, coldwater
1x panda moor goldfish - grow to 10+ inches, should have at least 4ft aquarium, coldwater
6x white cloud minnows - require at least 3ft of swimming space because they are active fish, coolwater
4x cherry barbs - schooling so should be kept in groups of 6+, require at least a 2ft aquarium, tropical
4x corydoras catfish - schooling, so should be kept in groups of 6+, tropical

I have research these fish and they are compatable with each other but I'm unsure if the numbers are too big for the tank (23 litres) I'm looking at. If you could give me reassurance or advice I'd be very gratefull.
No, tropical fish are not compatible with coldwater fish.

I am thinking of getting of getting a fluval edge and have decided to add fish gradually until I have this stock, but want to know if it is viable in the fluval edge.
Basically a Fluval Edge is not a good aquarium, and especially not for beginners or people without much experience. If you do really want this aquarium, this is the stocking you should consider:
* 6-8 ember tetras OR micro rasboras (the second are rare)
* group of cherry shrimp

You would really be much better off getting a standard 2ft or 3ft aquarium.

And please do fish-less cycle, it is so much easier than any other alternative!

Fluval Edge tanks certainly look cool, but I agree they are not a good community option! Way too small. The Cherry Shrimp idea is great, though. Had not thought about that.

Thank you all for getting back to me. I'm sorry for my ignorance but I had just used the compatibilty tool on a tropical fish website for the black moor goldfish. If you could give me any more ideas on what to stock it with instead I'd be grateful. I'd really like a black moor goldfish if this can be included. many thanks.

Thank you all for getting back to me. I'm sorry for my ignorance but I had just used the compatibilty tool on a tropical fish website for the black moor goldfish. If you could give me any more ideas on what to stock it with instead I'd be grateful. I'd really like a black moor goldfish if this can be included. many thanks.

Blackmoor goldfish included with what, the tropical fish setup? Or a goldfish setup?

Sorry but Goldfish are a complete no go for that tank, they will grow far to large.

How about some harliquin rasoboras? My lfs has a tank set up with them & they look great.

Tom

You would ideally need a 4ft aquarium, such as Fluval Roma 240 set to 18C (lowest setting on the heater) and that would allow you to have 5-6 fancy goldfish and a coolwater pleco or hillstream loaches or weather loaches.. basically, goldfish require pretty much species tanks, which is why they're not a fish we often recommend to people. Another thing to expect is that fancy goldfish are inbred enough so that they have health problems often.

Sorry but Goldfish are a complete no go for that tank, they will grow far to large.

How about some harliquin rasoboras? My lfs has a tank set up with them & they look great.
Well, neither are harlequins! They grow to 5+ cm, so not exactly suitable for a 24 litre aquarium..

Well, neither are harlequins! They grow to 5+ cm, so not exactly suitable for a 24 litre aquarium..

^^ I've got to agree with this to be honest. I couldn't imagine my guys in an edge, especially when you take into account decor and such.

How about...
Endler guppies?
Ember tetras (as previously mentioned)
Chilie rasbora
Coral/Ruby red pencilfish
Scarlet badis
Normans lampeye killifish
Micro rasbora (as mentioned)
Celestial pearl danio aka Galaxy Rasbora
Dwarf puffer fish
Hengel's Rasbora (as mentioned)

Hopefully that will give you some ideas, I've not put numbers as I justed wanted to give you plenty of ideas.

Something to consider though is whether you are likely to be able to get the fish we are suggesting. You're likely to be able to mail order ANY of the fish we suggest but that's obviously going to be an extra cost, however if any of the suggestions catch your eye then you might be happy to pay for shipping.

A few of the suggestions I gave are relatively common though. :)

Also, if you've not read up on cycling yet then you really should. It'll make things easier for you and the fish for you to be fully prepared. All the links you need are in my signature :)

if it was mine i would go with a group of Pygmy Cories and a Male Betta (Fighter Fish)
The Edge has almost no surface area (it is about 1/4-1/5 of the top of the tank); Bettas and gouramis need access to the surface to breath so no go again, while Corys benefit from it.

Ok thanks everyone. Think the charming looks of the fluvial edge is the only good thing about it. Perhaps I should just leave it on the shop shelf :)Thank you to curiosity101 there are lots of nice looking fish there. I'll have a closer look at how to look at them and see if I can get them from the fish shops round by me. Thankyou everyone for sharing your knowledge.

When I first saw the Edge I wanted it, too!! But then cooler heads prevailed since I wanted a community with variety.

Change of tatics. Thinking of working round 5 galaxy rasboras. Does anyone have any ideas on another pair of fish to add? Is there something to give the bottom of the tank interest. I was interested in keeping tiger shrimps but my fiancee isn't keen on the idea of shrimps, so any other idea is greatfully recieved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back