Fluval Edge First Attempt At Saltwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Karek

Reaction score
Hey folks! Noticed some people on here have had some success with the Fluval Edge and was looking for some pointers!

I initially bought this tank to house my siamese fighter but I have since rehomed him to a good friend who was looking for one so decided to try my hand at my first saltwater tank. Please note I've had a tropical tanks for some time so feel it's time to try my hand in marine!

I'm generally looking for some newbie advice on exactly where to start?! Exactly what equipment I would need etc. So for starters I'll let you know what all I have;

1x Fluval Edge 23l aquarium
1x FLuval Edge Heater (as far as I'm aware this goes to 26 degrees?)
1x Fluval HOB filter
2x LED Replacement bulbs to replace the horrid halogen standard ones, White MR11 (I think 6000-6500k)- In a delivery van somewhere.

To be bought;

2-3kg live sand?
2-3kg of Live rock?
A Nano Powerhead?

What else would I need? Is a protein skimmer essential? (I've seen ones that don't look like they have any?) Do I require blue LED strips?

Could someone kindly explain the whole water situation as this is the part that confuses me the most! I understand obviously you need saltwater but where do you begin?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My parents had two fluval edges as saltwater and tbh there a royal pain as salt creeps and the light just isn't very well diffused but it can be done

You don't need blue lights but they give some corals a really nice look

Also you can either buy Salt water from your local fish shop that sells marine so all you do is pour it in or buy a ro filter that you plumb in under your sink for example and then mix salt with it in a big tub then add it , the second one works out cheaper in the long run but for small tank it might be easier to just buy it premixed for now

Protein skimmers arn't essential

You'd also need a power head for in there for water circulation take the sponge out of the filter and put either live rock pieces in there or you can add other things to keep phosphate and other parameters down but I've never found them to be neccercary

You will also need a liquid saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrite ,nitrate ,ph , phosphates good to have aswell :good:

The lights prongs seem to rust off ridiculously fast with salt water so try to fit some kind of lid (plastic) inbetween the lights and water

Sorry to sound abit doom and gloom it's just I found them to be a lot of work compared to a conventional tank of similar size

Atb bae

Unfortunately as it stands I have a lack of room for a larger tank hence the nano ^^

Thank you for that bae, very helpful indeed! I have some acrylic lying around that could be attached somehow to the lights.

From what I gather it is a case of add sand, live rock and the salt water and it cycles naturally? Do you recommend water changes during the cycle?

Honestly, if I were you I'd wait till you have the room, starting out bigger is a much better thing to do as it gives you more leeway if you make mistakes.

If you do go ahead though, add salt water, let it get up to temperature make sure all equipment is working etc, then add your rock, then your sand, sand after as it provides support for your rock. Water changes during the cycle aren't usually necessary, you generally do a large one at the end of the cycle to remove any nitrate left from the cycling process.

Thanks, I've been looking at the Koralia Nano 900 for it, would that be a sufficient powerhead?

I'd go for two smaller power heads personally with a combined turnover of 300lph, so probably 2 pumps both rated at 150lph.

Ime pretty sure jennybugs used a 900I think in hers ( very nice example of a fluval edge reef ) but you'll have to have a look :blink:

It will be harder to do than a larger tank and it is recommended to go bigger but you've not got that option so it is doable as I said and my parents managed and they had never kept marine before ( i helped abit to be fair but still)

As said above I wouldn't do water changes untill the end :good:

Thanks guys, in regards to the test kit would the API Saltwater Master Test Kit do the job? Do I need live sand or am I better going for a finer sand?

Live sand doesn't do anything IMO as its sat in a bag for all that time so I'd get arognite sand if I were you

And the api are very inaccurate salifert are better

Interesting I'm keeping my eye on this as I have an Edge myself and would like to try something different with it and a venture in to the salty side sounds appealing.

Just an update on this;

I've sorted sand and my live rock is on the way, put everything together filled it all up and just waiting on the water to settle and clear up.

I found that almost 5-10 minutes after switching it all on one of my LED bulbs has started to flicker, as if the power goes out and comes back on. I switched the bulbs to the neighbouring socket and the same thing so I'm assuming this is just an issue with the particular bulb, has any one else had this problem? Maybe worth noting the light arm and 12v plug (transformer?) is still stock, could this be my issue?

Once I get the rock in place and I'm happy with it all I will upload some pictures to share it with you guys :)

Edit:

Did a little mod (snipped the wires) and connected it up to an LED driver, still have the same issue with the flashing bulb :( Trying to arrange a replacement, putting in my LR kicked up some what of a sand storm and I have nice cloudy water so have no idea how my aquascaping has turned out! Will post some pictures in the next day or two once it settles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back