fluval 7000k AVOID!!!!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

david W

Reaction score
bought two of these, rinsed them out, filled with RO water+minerals, left for two weeks, NO FISH PLANTS, GOT WATER TESTED BY PRO, NITRATE OFF THE SCALE! explain please? so, we emptied water, gravel etc, started again, got water tested....NITRATE OFF THE SCALE......cut a long story short, ran my finger up against the seals, a snot like substance came off on my finger........THANKS fluval 7000k!!! GOOD JOB. what a piece of c£"%p you will hear from me soon. avoid at all costs!

How long has your tank been set up? Was it already a cycled tank? If not, was it filled completely with RO or has it ever had tap water?

More info. About the life, size, and specs of the tank and anything in the tank (even substrate) will help to sort out what's going on.

Also, what's your light schedule? Assuming you mean the fluval 7000k led light right?

Sorry for all the questions though -.-'

Last edited:
Reactions: kwi
Which model of fluval tank is it?

water tested by a 'pro'? what does that mean? why don't you test your own water?

the snot like substance is likely bio-film. a normal 'substance' that develops when leaving a tank of water for a couple of weeks.

How long has your tank been set up? Was it already a cycled tank? If not, was it filled completely with RO or has it ever had tap water?

More info. About the life, size, and specs of the tank and anything in the tank (even substrate) will help to sort out what's going on.

Also, what's your light schedule? Assuming you mean the fluval 7000k led light right?

Sorry for all the questions though -.-'
hey, thank you for your interest. it was about 20% RO on setting up, tap water tested and is fine, been running two weeks with two 10% water changes with RO, its 60L. LED lights I put on for around 12 hours I guess, its not near direct sunlight. just baffling me, the nitrate level as i said is off the scale!

hey, thank you for your interest. it was about 20% RO on setting up, tap water tested and is fine, been running two weeks with two 10% water changes with RO, its 60L. LED lights I put on for around 12 hours I guess, its not near direct sunlight. just baffling me, the nitrate level as i said is off the scale!
What does "off the scale" mean in numbers?
What about ammonia and nitrites?
What livestock and plants do you have?

And just to help is it these you're talking about?
spec.jpg

What does "off the scale" mean in numbers?
What about ammonia and nitrites?
What livestock and plants do you have?
no plants, no fish.....everything else is ok,
nh4-0
no2-1.0
nh3 30.
ph-7.5
gh-12
rh-8

no plants, no fish.....everything else is ok,
nh4-0
no2-1.0
nh3 30.
ph-7.5
gh-12
rh-8

Did you yourself test tap water? When I did my nitrate was 20ppm. So my tank always has 20ppm and up to 30 or 40. I keep an eye on it and do water changes as it gets high.

So no ammonium, some nitrite, lots of ammonia (What source?)pH and hardness are fine.
Or is NH3 meant to be NO3? (NH3 and NH4+ are usually shown combined by the one test.) 30ppm Nitrate isn't unheard of in tap water. What part of the UK are you in?

B.T. Croll said:
Excessive concentrations of nitrate in drinking waters can cause methaemo- globinaemia (blue-baby syndrome) in bottle-fed infants and the government Chief Medical Officer has recommended that a maximum concentration of 100 mg litre-~ is appropriate.for public water supplies in the UK.

Last edited:
So no ammonium, some nitrite, lots of ammonia (What source?)pH and hardness are fine.
Or is NH3 meant to be NO3? (NH3 and NH4+ are usually shown combined by the one test.) 30ppm Nitrate isn't unheard of in tap water. What part of the UK are you in?
Nitrite (NO2) of 1 is NOT ok for fish, but this is not the filters fault.
We do need to know if your NH3 (ammonia) reading should have been NO3 (nitrate). If not what is the nitrate reading. We need a number - off the scale does not help.

The permissable limit for NO3 in UK tap water is 50ppm, which is in line with the EU. If yours is 30 this is within the limit and filters do not remove nitrate.

The nitrogen cycle is explained here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back