Fluval 406 filter

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi im thinking of buying the fluval 406 external filter for my 72 gallon tank, I've been looking for a while for a new filter and have been interested in this one.
Has anyone got any experience with this? Thank you

Last edited:
I’ve never had Fluval 406s, but I do have a couple of 405s which is the earlier version. They’re well over 10 years old now and still work well. Maintenance/cleaning them can be pretty irritating, but I suppose that’s the case with all canister filters. The flow is decent and they’re good quality filters.

That'll be enough for your tank for sure. I'm running a Sunsun 704B with a Sunsun 602b booster filter for my 75 gallon tank right now. It's half the price and it has a larger volume in the filter compared to the Fluval. It also has a built in UV sterilizer.

I have been running the 704b for about 4 years now and no problems, flow is still pretty good after I added the booster filter.

Thank you both, I think I'm going to buy the 406 this is my first external filter I usually have the internal ones but wanting something better.

Yeah I looked at the 407 but thought it would be to big for my tank? That's why I thought the 406. I'll definitely go and look again. Thank you

Yeah I looked at the 407 but thought it would be to big for my tank? That's why I thought the 406. I'll definitely go and look again. Thank you
Do you mean too big as in the size of the filter or in terms of flow?

Thank you I didn't realise that I thought they were different.
That's made it easier for me, I'll get the 407.

That'll be enough for your tank for sure. I'm running a Sunsun 704B with a Sunsun 602b booster filter for my 75 gallon tank right now. It's half the price and it has a larger volume in the filter compared to the Fluval. It also has a built in UV sterilizer.

I have been running the 704b for about 4 years now and no problems, flow is still pretty good after I added the booster filter.
I had the Fluval but the seal started leaking and then the pump to prime it gave up on me. Couldn't get the parts so also went with the SunSun with built in UV.
Apart from the price difference there ain't much difference in the build of them, They are all modelled in the same way and get the job done just the same. Don't spend more than you need to. In fact I now have 3 SunSun and have had no problems.

I had the Fluval but the seal started leaking and then the pump to prime it gave up on me. Couldn't get the parts so also went with the SunSun with built in UV.
Apart from the price difference there ain't much difference in the build of them, They are all modelled in the same way and get the job done just the same. Don't spend more than you need to. In fact I now have 3 SunSun and have had no problems.

I haven't had any problems with mine except for the UV sterilizer burnt out on arrival and the manufacturer sent me a new one at zero cost.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back