Fluval 405

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gruntle

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, after trying to convince the good wife that I "need" a bigger tank, and pricing all of the necessary bits and pieces, I found a second hand tank for $350 that (by my calculations) would cost over $1000 to set up with new stuff (stand, tank, hood, filter, LED light, substrate and ornaments).

The tank came with a Fluval 405, which is a filter I have not come across in my very limited experience (I have Aquis canisters on other tanks). For those not familiar, the inside of the filter contains 3 baskets (currently all three are full of ceramics) and a cage with four long, thin foam filters (which are looking and feeling very ready to fall apart).

I have noticed the water is very cloudy (which I'm fairly certain has a lot to do with little or no maintenance for more than a year, the colour and smell of the water when I rinsed the gravel was enough to get me banished to the far corner of my house block with a hose and 2 hours of rinsing). I would like finer filter foam to try and clean some of the particles from the water, but I'm totally unsure what to buy, and how to fit it in the canister.

How do 405's work, which way does the water flow, where would be best to put a block of fine foam for a last-pass water polish etc? I'm doing some research as I go, but just found out that my internet connection will be horrible for 3 months while the service provider does some essential maintenance. So if anyone has a quick answer I would be most appreciative.

I will publish photos, but with very milky water it's embarrassing for me to put anything up just now.

Thanks in advance.

Good going on your tank find.
I believe the filter filters from the bottom up - the water flows through the foam first, then up through the baskets. You should replace the foam with new. (Likewise I woulda trashed the substrate in favor of fresh, cleaned sand (either pool filter or play sand).
From there, it's up to you what you place in the baskets. Personally, after years of experimentation, I came to an arguably sound conclusion... that in addition to being great at mechanical filtration, foam also makes an excellent platform for biological filtration. (many large fishrooms functionwith air driven sponge filters alone!)
I have two Aquaclear 70 filters on my 60g, filled completely with foam material. In essence, they are HOB sponge filters). Oh I used ceramic rings, pumice stone (Matrix/DeNitrate), and the like, but found that sponge works every bit as well...if not better. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to clean, and lasts nearly forever.
You can buy bio-foam and cut to fit in your basket(s). Or you can continue with ceramic or other bio-media. For a final polish you can use cut to fit filter pads or polyester filter fiber. I get filter fiber in the sewing/craft section of WMart - it's used to stuff pillows and the like - just be sure it's Polyfil that does not contain any chemical treatment (like fire retardant).

Good going on your tank find.
I believe the filter filters from the bottom up - the water flows through the foam first, then up through the baskets. You should replace the foam with new. (Likewise I woulda trashed the substrate in favor of fresh, cleaned sand (either pool filter or play sand).
From there, it's up to you what you place in the baskets. Personally, after years of experimentation, I came to an arguably sound conclusion... that in addition to being great at mechanical filtration, foam also makes an excellent platform for biological filtration. (many large fishrooms functionwith air driven sponge filters alone!)
I have two Aquaclear 70 filters on my 60g, filled completely with foam material. In essence, they are HOB sponge filters). Oh I used ceramic rings, pumice stone (Matrix/DeNitrate), and the like, but found that sponge works every bit as well...if not better. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to clean, and lasts nearly forever.
You can buy bio-foam and cut to fit in your basket(s). Or you can continue with ceramic or other bio-media. For a final polish you can use cut to fit filter pads or polyester filter fiber. I get filter fiber in the sewing/craft section of WMart - it's used to stuff pillows and the like - just be sure it's Polyfil that does not contain any chemical treatment (like fire retardant).

good post.....i agree with everything you say.....just like you, i have a bunch of aquaclear filters and fill them with foam, they are great simple filters

im not sure exactly what it is your trying to ask?

Just trying to work out how a 405 works. Does the water first pass down the long thin foam pads, then up through the baskets (in which case the ideal place for some fine "wool" would be the top basket), or down through the baskets and then up through the foam (in which case replace the foam with some fine wool).

Personally I think three baskets of ceramics is too many, and I would prefer foam of varying sizes. It seems to trap the particles better and results in cleaner water. I'm now thinking of replacing the top ceramic layer with some fine wool or floss or something. I think I can get 6 Fluval branded fine foam blocks for under $20 so I might try one of them to begin with.

Anyway, water has cleared up overnight, so here's a picture:

New Tank1.jpg

Taken from the 405 manual https://uk.hagen.com/File/196a80be-6003-4243-889e-def2561f2131

"Water flows down through the foam screen frame, which traps large particulate matter. The filter’s powerful pump then draws the water up from the base of the unit through the media baskets for the customized stages of mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration that have been designed through media choices and placement."

So after a frustrating day trying to sort out an air bubble issue (I’d clear it, it would return. I replaced the impeller, I replaced the inlet/outlet arrangement, I disconnected and reconnected the hoses, I said some bad words), I have put my Aquis 750 and 1000 on the new tank, and will sell the Fluval with my old tank.

Know anyone in South East Queensland who wants a nice 4’ tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back