Flowerhorn

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish-human

Reaction score
I came back from a 9-day vacation. I kept my baby flowerhorn fed twice a day by an automatic feeder. The water parameters are all safe (I have a section blocked off from the rest of the aquaruim for plants to grow, and it keeps the nitrate and nitrite at 0 ppm). He seems as he wants to eat, but he can't for some reason. He goes up to the food, almost rushes to it, then stops. It doesn't appear as his vision is impaired, I showed him a freeze-dried bloodworm in front of the glass and he followed it, but like I said, he goes to the food, and then stops. Can someone explain what is going on?

Any chance of a picture and short video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

-----------------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the issue is identified. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water.

Check the temperature.

What are you feeding the fish?
Maybe try some live brineshrimp (available from most pet shops).

I can't view the video. If you upload it to YouTube and copy & paste the link here, we can view it at YouTube.

If you turn your phone on its side (so it's horizontal not vertical), the video will fill the entire screen and it will be easier to see what is going on.

You can try feeding the fish on raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp. Buy some frozen prawns from the local bait shop (fishing store) or supermarket and keep them frozen. Take one prawn and defrost it, then remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube in body) and throw these bits away. Use a pair of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into small bite size pieces and offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. See if he eats. If he does eat then keep him on soft foods for a few weeks and maybe try breaking up the pellets so they are smaller. You could also try a small sinking pellet but make sure you remove any uneaten food or it will cause water quality problems.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back