Flowerhorn male or female

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gonna be hard !
Differential characteristics do not develop before it reaches 4 inches or about 10 cm long on this stage of its life fully.
By checking properly the part of the anal pore you should be able to note : a "U" shape if it is a female and a "V" shape if it's a male. Obviously, when aging males develop big hump.
Hope it helps ;)
Thank you. How on earth am I going to get a look at his/her anal vent? Is there a way to do this without stressing the fish out or taking them on a date?

Sounds like a really good plan - definitely keep us upto date :) When you say a blue eye do you mean a blue eye panaque?

Wills
Yes, he's a blue eye Panaque. Right now he is about 5 inches. The tank he is in is 4'x20"x2'. Ideally I would like a larger tank, but I figure I have a little time to talk my husband into that. Bigger is always better where tanks are concerned.

Yes, he's a blue eye Panaque. Right now he is about 5 inches. The tank he is in is 4'x20"x2'. Ideally I would like a larger tank, but I figure I have a little time to talk my husband into that. Bigger is always better where tanks are concerned.
Ah yes spouses are often the downfall of aquatic expansion I can relate very well :)

Fair play getting a blue eye though they are really rare in the UK and an adult usually sells for between £700 - £1,000.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Back