Flowerhorn Cichlid with Divider, yes or no?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you saw pictures of Byrons tanks you would know they are far from 'hum drum' or 'plain jane' they are some of the most successful and beautiful tanks on this forum.

Your fish could easily be considered plain jane... in all honesty you can walk into any shop and find Angels, Oscars, Red Tail Sharks and chuck them in any size tank and a certain percent of the time it will be fine to the average, low skilled owner. The thing is with this sort of approach is that you will run into problems every couple of months, might not always be something major but there will be something that will affect your fishes quality of life. If you try and keep fish that are realistically beyond your means just accept it and find an alternative, why try and keep 4 Red Tailed Sharks together when there are so many interesting Loach species that look very similar and will actually thrive in a group.

The thing with people truely dedicated to moving this hobby forward like Byron is that you can choose to listen to them or not, but I know from experience that when you choose not to they wil be proved right eventually. And its upto you to understand the advice you are given and then work in those parameters to make the most successful enjoyable tank you can. Like I say, 4 Red Tailed Sharks in a small percentage of tanks will work fine but you can get these anywhere, you could have chosen to research what you wanted and tried to source and keep a group of Yasuhikotakia loaches together and achieve a very similar look and level of activity, but be more sure that those fish will live out their lifespan in a healthy way from the moment you put them in the tank.

Choosing to not research, respect or act responsibly to your fish is no excuse for trying to create an 'exciting tank'. There are always alternatives to achieve what you want to achieve in your tank if you spend the time educating yourself how to do it.

Wills
ok

You contradict yourself stating I cant tell if the fish is happy...yet you can assume your techniques or stock is correct because your have read about fish physiology ?
Are you trying to sound smart or just be a sneaky hyppcrite...? I have 4 rainbow sharks in my 55 gal long as well...
there was a poster here who was keeping a bunch of rainbow sharks in a tank to see if it could be done and whether he could breed them and keep them. Im not sure what ever happened never heard from him again.not keeping more than one rainbow shark in a tank is a pretty well known rule established over years of observation in the hobby, to suggest one has debunked that established rule because you have 4 in a tank doesnt mean the fish are " happy" rainbow sharks observed in nature and hobby are highly intolerant of eachother, not to mention a 55 is way to small for 4 of them as they can get about 6-8 inches each and will designate territories in tanks, which will in turn lead to lots of fighting over territory or sharks abandoning territory and being stressed as 1000s of years of evolution have been programmed into their dna that they should establish a territory. Lots of things in ones tanks can stress fish out from incorrect water parameters incompatible tank mates or insufficient tank size. Keeping 4 Rainbows in a 55 gallon is leading to stress which eventually lead to disease which eventually lead to death. On a sidenote the reason your angel was eating gravel was most likely beeing out competed for food by the oscars. Oscars are big aggressive eater that consume alot of food and the angel not getting enough food most likely resorted to sufting through the gravel for food which isnt natural or healthy for an angel. I know there are a lot of cool fish out there and its easy to want to just grab what looks cool at the time and chuck em in a tank and hope for the best, and yourw doing the fishba dis service by putting them in tanks that dont give them the best shot at being healthy for a long period of time.
Good luck figuring out your stocking, i hope you consider putting your fish in tanks they can thrive instead of just survive.:)

Never said they were rare but at least not boring.
Who made you king of fish keeping to decide which species are acceptable to keep?
Care to enlighten us on which species are boring and we shouldn't be keeping, and which ones we're allowed? Do I have to cram as many rainbow sharks and oscars into too small tanks in order to be considered a good fish keeper? Am I only experienced once a bonded pair of oscars have worked together to kill a third like yours?

Who made you king of fish keeping to decide which species are acceptable to keep?
Care to enlighten us on which species are boring and we shouldn't be keeping, and which ones we're allowed? Do I have to cram as many rainbow sharks and oscars into too small tanks in order to be considered a good fish keeper? Am I only experienced once a bonded pair of oscars have worked together to kill a third like yours?
Yup that's exactly what happened...and if you read the whole thread the o.p asked for help and was chastised and bullied over her fish so I felt I'd take it off her and on to me...from what I have been reading on this forum most of you guys are flat pompous jerks,she was asking for advice and got scolded like a child and no help what so ever was given....so since all or most of you in this thread were bashing her I figured I do the same and be presumptuous about all of you....read the whole thread next time

Yup that's exactly what happened...and if you read the whole thread the o.p asked for help and was chastised and bullied over her fish so I felt I'd take it off her and on to me...from what I have been reading on this forum most of you guys are flat pompous jerks,she was asking for advice and got scolded like a child and no help what so ever was given....so since all or most of you in this thread were bashing her I figured I do the same and be presumptuous about all of you....read the whole thread next time
That's hilarious! No one was mean to the OP, people were really polite in pointing out why it wouldn't work, and what they could do to have both things she wanted.

Were people supposed to say "sure! Stick a flowerhorn, an Oscar, angelfish and whatever else into a 72 gallon. it'll be fine! And if it isn't, who cares?" - that might be the way you keep fish, but most of us care about the welfare of the fish.

Have also seen you tear apart a kid who followed bad fish store advice, and you claimed there was no excuse for his stocking. So you might want to calm down with calling people hypocrites when you didn't even bother to coach your berating in nice terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back