Flow too fast?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

david.molloy2009

Reaction score
Hi.
Just had a little clean out of my tank and filters but now think I have too much flow and don't want my fish to suffer.
My set up
Screenshot_20210322-134701_Aquarium Note.jpg
i have move things around when I cleaned. I have both filters on the left hand wall (when you look at pic) pointing into the tank and my air brick is in the middle of the back wall.

20210323_131339.jpg

Stingray does 220ltr per hour and the marina has 100ltr per hour.

I recently gained this tank, (it was green with algie and substrate had lots of waste in) so I have cleaned, scraped algie, vacuumed the sand etc. It's quite cloudy which I think is either disturbance of substrate and/or bacterial bloom along with quite a bit of floating debris so am trying let it settle a bit and get the filters to pull out floating debris.

My concern is that the flow is too fast and my fish might be suffering from this.

Any ideas?

Only turbulence I see is in the back but the fish in pic appears to be having trouble swimming. If that’s the case then yes, you need to decrease flow.

How's best to do that? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I really want both filters running (if i can) to take care of the debris. If I need to switch one off, which one, if I don't need to switch either off how can I reduce flow? Can I just divert?

Does that all make sense?

Edit.
I have managed to redirect the Flow of the Stingray so it bounces off the tank wall back corner so hopefully that will make a difference.
NB I have had to de-clog the other filter twice in 4hours which shows me there is a lot of floating debris, particularly moss
20210323_164519.jpg

As soon as the water clears and debris dies down I intend to remove one of the fliters

Last edited:
How's best to do that? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I really want both filters running (if i can) to take care of the debris. If I need to switch one off, which one, if I don't need to switch either off how can I reduce flow? Can I just divert?

Does that all make sense?
Yes, it makes since. As long as you have a filter that meets your aquarium size, you really don’t need 2. Saying that, I have 2 in several of mine also but only because I have fish with large bio loads (goldfish) in those. What you want to look for in a filter is the GPH (gallons per hour) it turns over. One filter with a high GPH can be better than 2 filters. As far as slowing down flow, you can baffle your filter by adding a piece of sponge to the outflow part. On my internal filters, I take the sponge and slit it then push it up on filter as in pic. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 36
Wholly depends on what fish you keep. Some like flow and some don't. If you google search the name of your fish along with 'seriously fish', then check the profile on that website and it often describes the natural habitat and whether thats a fast flowing stream or a turbid swamp or ditch etc..

Wholly depends on what fish you keep. Some like flow and some don't. If you google search the name of your fish along with 'seriously fish', then check the profile on that website and it often describes the natural habitat and whether thats a fast flowing stream or a turbid swamp or ditch etc..
I have 5 platy, 4 zebra danio, 3 penguin tetra, 3 black neon tetra and 2 pearl danio.
I think they like a little flow but the penguin tetra seamed to be struggling agains flow when I had the flow directly in to tank.
They seam better now I have it turned around

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back